1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond, you're up.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My morning/week/month just got ruined.
    Just got word that three of my former colleagues in the newsroom at the Times-Dispatch will be laid off today.
    No idea who yet. Not even sure they know. Also don't know about other departments. I know some others took a hit in the spring.
    They're about 40 below "capacity" of 178 in the newsroom. Not sure I understand this but I think I'm going to go throw up now.

This is one of the major reasons I left. I didn't want to get laid off. I also didn't want to be part of the process. It is easy for me to say this now but I mean it and those who know me will vouch for it: I would have eliminated myself first.

2. Moderator1

18 total, I'm now told. Not sure where the others are coming from, or if it is just the newspaper or the corporate office, too.

Stock price is at 1.57

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Damn. Thoughts are with you and your old crew, Moddy.

4. Moderator1

Thanks, though way more for them than for me.
    I'm hearing now none in sports, though that doesn't make me feel much better.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I wonder if Trosky was a part of the process or if they followed the recent lead set by other companies and did what they wanted independent of his knowledge and opinion. Fucking corporate sycophants; way to let greedy hedge fund managers on your board.

Best wishes to all those affected.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sports was way down personnel-wise to begin with, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't get hit.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

First off, I'm echoing DC. Regardless of how much sports if affected, news like this always stinks.

Secondly, to Marshall Morton's credit, he actually spoke out against the sort of financial suits that seem a little too eager to destroy the profession. Sitting on the board seemed almost a form of revenge for Morton's remarks - which, while honest didn't shine a wonderful light on the hedge fund sorts.

Here's to hoping MG keeps RTD's damage to a bare minimum.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I made my post without having seen Moddy's latest comment, which is weird considering it was 45 minutes before mine. Stupid faulty eyesight.

I stand by the second part, though.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was bound to happen in Richmond sooner or later.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy, not to step on toes, but I'm hearing three writers and two managers from the newsroom.

12. Moderator1

How is that stepping on toes?

Draft saved Draft deleted