1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond - writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Woody/O'Connor/Pearrell/Utley/Slater/Phillips/Dorr

That's seven
    Unless I've missed some very recent news.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know. Alls I know is Steve told me yesterday six, and he told me six total writers when I talked to him during race weekend too.

EDIT: Isn't Utley not actually considered a sports writer? Wasn't that the reorg where he was assigned to one of the county teams or whatever? Maybe that's the difference.

3. Moderator1

High school writers are back in sports.
    At least they were - I assume Steve knows more than I do. But I still count seven.

4. imjustagirl

Then I got nothing. Blame Strosky's inability to count. You'd figure with that small a number of bodies he could count. :)

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How "desperate" are they?

I would think they hold all the cards here with so many talented people unemployed, but some of you folk (not moddy and ijag) make it sound like the t-d is going under tomorrow.

6. imjustagirl

wicked, I know you weren't talking about me, but if I may...

I don't think the T-D is going under. It's one of the "crown jewels" of MG (whatever that means nowadays).

However, I left there 13 months ago. And the morale at THAT time was really low. Since then, there have been mass layoffs, people leaving who weren't replaced, the scrapping of the universal desk idea, etc. So I don't know what things are like on the inside...but I feel confident in saying they're not great.

As posted, there are definitely worse jobs out there. I don't know what their travel abilities are any more. I don't know what expectations would be in terms of beat coverage. But they're good people, trying their hardest to do good work. And you'll probably make more than 20K, which is what some of these other crap jobs are offering. So...pros and cons.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Obviously there are issues. I get that. But I'm applying (and headed for the circular file, probably) for the same reason many others are -- since this may be one of the best opportunities to open up in a while for those outside the effin' stud circle of preanointed ones.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The T-D basically is the only game in town.

There are some regional, county papers, but the T-D is it in Richmond. That is said from the John Q Subscriber perspective.

I will add that anything with Richmond football or VCU hoops is automatically on the front of sports, so those beats are actually better than what a CAA beat would be in other markets.

9. imjustagirl

I think we're on the same page.

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Any idea how fast they'd move on this one? Quick because they need someone, or slowly to save money?

11. imjustagirl

No idea on that, sadly.

I bow to Moddy. A text from Steve: "Sorry. 7. I count desks. Darryl (Slater) doesn't have one."

*sigh*

12. Moderator1

Well, he does. But it's in Blacksburg!
    I think he actually did have a desk in the old-look newsroom. My old one.

Draft saved Draft deleted