1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richie Rodriguez, he doth protest too much.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Tiger,

10 years ago I'd say you were right. Not anymore. Alabama is just another program to most football recruits.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Any program can get on TV -- or stream their games on the Internet. Any program can build a nice stadium. Any program can build nice facilities. And practically any BCS program can get a crack at the national championship with a good season preceding a great one.

The things that set apart the Alabamas, Notre Dames and Miamis of the world are everyday occurrences now at many schools.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Someone reads SJ...all cleaned up:

You can tell that the mess in the first version was strictly the result of having to say 'told ESPN's Ivan Maisel.'

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

God forbid the WWL put its own reporter's attribution in the second graf instead of the first.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

big mistake if he does take it, but i don't think his ego will let him pass it up

i've covered alabama, the sec and the big east, there's no reason to put up with the shit he'll put up with at alabama

plus, the road to a national championship is easier at west virginia. there, you win the big east, put a couple of patsies on the non-confernece schedule and viola, national title game

sec? not so much

6. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

As long as Richie has a thick skin and doesn't mind being run out of town after a couple 8-4 seasons, he'll be just fine. He's a good recruiter and his wide open offense could be a breath of fresh air for the Tide.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Send me a bag..... seedless.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I completely agree with Alma... I'm hoping Rodriguez just took the meeting to squeeze as much money out of WVU as possible... He just signed an extension there, so that might be what he has to do to get them to tear up his contract and let him join the $2 million club...

9. WS

WS Member

it's laughable seeing how people think Mike Shula was fired ONLY because he went 6-6

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but it takes a special program to charge $29.99 a pop for a PPV game with Duke or Florida International...

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Shit, LSU charges $35 to watch the Tigahs play U-La.-La. or Ole Miss on PPV.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Whatever, Puber. If national TV didn't matter to recruits and the bottom line, why did Notre Dame seek its own network TV contract 20 years ago? Because they could use the line, "most of our games are on TV." Nowadays, every cable channel under the sun is showing some crappy game, so the advantage is lessened.

Draft saved Draft deleted