1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Jewell: The Movie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 4, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So it seems that Jonah Hill will be playing Richard Jewell and Leonardo DiCaprio his attorney in an upcoming movie about the Olympics bombing.

The film will be based on this Vanity Fair article, http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/archive/1997/02/brenner199702

It was written by Marie Brenner and a genuinely good read. Dave Kindred made a brief appearance and it was one I suspect he'd like to forget.

I had forgotten many of the details of the story. The FBI decided one day to wreck this guy's life all because Louis Freeh thought they should.

The story is also a primer on how great journalists perform terrible journalism.

On side note, I watched the Summer Olympics at my mom's because, like Jewell, I was a loser living at home and trying to figure out my life as I was thinking about a career in law enforcement.

And I remember watching the live feed coverage on her big satellite dish on the farm and it was amazing to see. They'd go to break and Karl Ravech would hop up from the desk, shorts on, with a suit coat and tie, and smoking cigarettes one after another before they came back from the commercials.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd be delighted to have a cameo in my real-life role as night manager at the adjacent press center.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The 30-for-30 short was good. Still takes the breath away to see such horrific journalism.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just watched the 30 for 30. Well done. Horrific abuse he endured.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I also watched the 30 for 30 last night. I was struck by how the AJC claimed Jewell was a public figure and since he was a public figure because of their shitty reporting, they weren't libel for their shitty reporting because he was a public figure.

That is one helluva trick to pull off.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When is this movie supposed to be in theatres? Having lived and worked there at the time, I would be interested in seeing it. (No, I'm not Richard Jewell and have never met him.)

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It would be pretty difficult to meet him these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted