1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rice going to a bowl game for first time in 45 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopCoog, Nov 28, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sitting in Legion Field in late December with 5,000 people is no reward, son.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why? He went to TCU.

BTW, I've read several stories that stated Rice has now broken the second longest bowl drought in college football but I've yet to see any reference to the school with the longest drought. Anybody have any idea who it is?

Vandy's the only school that comes to mind.

3. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Okay, I meant what I said in my first post .. congrats to Rice.
    The second post was a mockery of there being over 30 bowls these days.
    I want there to be 18-20, and that's it.
    If you can get among the Top 40 nationally, then you deserve to go bowling.
    EC and Cinci ?
    Yuck! Neither deserves to be bowling.
    Rice and Kentucky - I think they both do.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I hate to say it, but Texas schools don't have much excuse for being no good. They're living in the middle of a recruiting gold mine.

5. Armchair_QB

Of course 95 percent of them don't have a Pope's prayer of meeting Rice's entrance standards.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd guess Temple.

Rice was always my favorite opponent, if for nothing but the impolitic cheer: "What comes out of a Chinaman's ass?"

7. Armchair_QB

Didn't Temple play in the Garden State Bowl back in the late 70s?

EDIT: Temple did play in the Garden State Bowl in 79. Vandy played in a bowl game in 1982 so it's not either one of them.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Interesting question that I'm having a hell of a time finding an answer for.

A 2003 SI story said that New Mexico State had not been in a bowl since 1960 ... have they played in a bowl the last three seasons?

A Google search turns up a lot of sources talking about Rice ending the second-longest drought -- without any mention of what was the longest.

9. Armchair_QB

I just looked it up in the NCAA record book. New Mexico State is the correct answer. They played in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31, 1960 and haven't been to a bowl game since.

La.-Monroe, La-Lafayette, Middle Tennessee, Buffalo, FIU and FAU have never played in a bowl game.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd guess that one of the Louisiana schools will be next to break through. I think Turner Gill's still got a long way to go in Buffalo.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All this fuss for a bowl of rice?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The Ragin' Cajuns of the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now known as Louisiana-Lafayette) played in the Grantland Rice Bowl in 1970.

Draft saved Draft deleted