1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rice going to a bowl game for first time in 45 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopCoog, Nov 28, 2006.

1. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

It's not going to make big headlines, but there's been a pretty big turnaround at Rice University in Houston, which pretty much has been a lost football program since the Southwest Conference split. (Rice did win the College World Series in 2003, by the way).
    Anyway, Rice, which went 1-10 last year and started this year 0-4 with losses to Houston, Texas, UCLA and Florida State, rallied to go 7-5 and is going to its first bowl game since 1961. They've had some unbelievable rallies to win games and the new coach has really turned the Owls around.
    I think they'll play Troy State in the New Orleans Bowl, which is easily the worst bowl in years. But Rice will take it.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Rice has been the "Cousin It" of the schools in Texas. It's encouraging to see the Black Sheep SMU improve and Rice going bowling.

Now, will they be throwing beads or rice towards the Owls when they pull into town?? :-*

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BFD. Everyone's in a fucking bowl these days.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

East Carolina and Cinci in BHM is worse

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bumfuck U and Idontgiveashit College are in the WeareESPNandwecandowhateverwewant Bowl in sunny and blustery Bristol, Conn.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Can't think of Rice, frankly, without thinking of Dan Jenkins.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Trevor Cobb likes it !

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Maybe if ESPN creates enough bowl games Ball State will get to go one year and at that point they can get the "Boom goes the dynamite" guy to be an analyst, because, as we all know he defintiely knows his Ball State sports.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know, I honestly don't think I've ever seen Rice play a down of college football. That's wild.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And fortunate.

11. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Not true. And congrats to Rice, which has personnel on the roster that I used to cover in preps.

12. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Bowls are end-of-year rewards for kids and coaching staffs

Draft saved Draft deleted