1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden Wants to Even the Score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Are you going to follow this up with another one of your PM's?

Your consistency to latch onto my posts is incredible.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Poor persecuted Big Chee. Again, avoiding the question.

And you are the one who wouldn't stop with the PMs last time. So let's at least try to be accurate. Not sure if you can manage that.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You want to play that game?

I'll copy and paste them right now for the entire board to see.

You initiated all of the crap because I got under your skin.

It's only the internet...it's not that serious.

Secondly....I'm not poor. :)

4. outofplace

Did I say anything about who you are off the board? No. I did not. nor do I care.

And I initiated the PMs because I believe you are full of crap and I didn't want to clutter up the thread any more with bickering.

And you might want to check out the board policy about things such as posting the contents of PMs without permission.

And of course, you are still dodging the question that you are afraid to answer with your bullshit victim act.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Get a room and fuck already.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Ahh....the power of the internet. To get to people emotionally without them ever knowing who is on the otherside of the screen.

Can you feel the burn!!!

Seriously, for the sake of the board, please...stop it.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

There are a lot of good points made here on both sides. But I'm always a little uncomfortable with the white-guy-doesn't-get-why-black-guy-might-think-there's-a-racial-angle line of discourse. Even if I don't see it ... the fact that I'm, like, NOT BLACK might have something to do with that. I don't presume to know how black people do or should feel about the Bonds mess. It would seem, well, presumptuous.

8. outofplace

And you are still avoiding the question...and editing my posts to show only the parts that suit you. Ignoring the fact that you sent me PM after PM for a couple of days with your whiny crap.

You're the one who couldn't let it go then and you are using personal issues to avoid answering legitimate questions now. And if you think you're under my skin, well, that is just one more example of your delusional state.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Playing devil's advocate here...

I don't pretend to know how a black person would feel about this, but I do know how I, as a white person, feel when others try to MAKE it a racial issue. It's a two-way street of emotions.

And where, exactly, has Clemens been getting an easy street treatment? There is definitely a specter of potential perjury charges out there, and the court of public opinion seems to be resoundingly AGAINST Clemens. Am I missing something?

And if the feds DON'T go after Clemens, it likely will be because they don't have enough with which to bring charges.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Alley: yeah, I see what you're saying. My point is, in this instance, I have a hard time getting outraged at a black guy finding a racial angle to Bonds-Clemens comparisons. I might not agree, but I don't get the outrage.
    On an unrelated point, I'm still kinda new around here, so maybe somebody could explain to me the pervasive practice of "quoting" half the freaking thread before making your latest post. My eyes glaze over. It's kind of like play-by-play in game stories, isn't it?

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

No one is saying Clemens is getting off easy. But in no way has Clemens faced the persistent and analytic scrutiny Bonds received in the media regarding the steroid issue. The episodic treatment Clemens has received is pretty much the norm when the person is question is not someone of color.

I know it bothers people to hear that, but we're not all delusional.

I don't know why people want African Americans to conveniently forget those differences and when addressing these truths, it's packaged as people whining or pulling things out of thin air.

It's pretty much common place. So I don't see how one could say it's a two way street.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Given the amount of time the Bonds issue has been going, of course there's going to be a disparity in the amount of coverage and scrutiny. But to say the level of said scrutiny is different is, to me, laughable. Virtually every media outlet I know of led their 1A page with the Clemens testimony. Virtually every radio talk show I've heard has been absolutely dominated by the Clemens issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted