1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden breaks new ground in Sunday Column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Jan 7, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/sports/ncaafootball/07rhoden.html?ref=sports

Acceptance Still Lags for Black Quarterbacks

Bill Rhoden, plays the only note he can. He's shrill, narrow minded, simple and has all the nuance and subtlety of a loud fart in church.

Troy Smith says we're way beyond the African American as quaterback angle. But Rhoden, in all his myopia, can't see beyond race and his editors at The Times lack the professionalism to tell him to STFU.

In Rhoden's defense, I guess you write what you know, and all Rhoden knows is race. :eek:

2. boots

boots New Member

abbott, that's Bill's opinion. He gets paid very well for it. If you don't like it, flip the page. If you met him, you wouldn't say any of this crap to his face. Be a man. Stop baiting and hating. You are better than that.

3. heyabbott

I've never met the man, but I have expressed my opinions to him.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He just won't give it up. The only thing that Rhoden is right about is that there is a revolution at hand. It's called the spread offense - 60 minutes of panic.

The offense has reached the "tipping point'" and is now being taught and run at HS and even youth level programs.

Spread offense does call for a more athletic mobil type player for it to be effective.

Column misses the point because once again Rhoden wants to make it a race issue.

I am still waiting for the column on why there are no white cornerbacks or Latino QB's.

The only surprise of here is that Rhoden did not bring up Florida's use of Tom Tebow as being racially motivated.

5. heyabbott

If Donavan McNabb was leading the Eagles to playoffs as the backup QB to injured starter Jeff Garcia, Rhoden would write about McNabb everyday. courageous & heroic would almost be as prominently repeated as Black or African.

Because it's Garcia, a non African American, leading the team to playoffs, Rhoden writes still about McNabb.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Extremely well-said, heyabbott. I wish I could be as concise as you. 2nd verse, same as the first, indeed. Kudos for your insightful watchdogging.

My NYT select membership recently lapsed, and I feel zero need to renew it. There won't be any Rhoden articles in my immediate future. I'll miss Selena, however.

Great to see somebody who cares enough about the profession to call out this BS for what it is. Thanks, again.

And how telling is it that Smith's thinking is more progressive than Rhoden's?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Very telling . No doubt conditioned in his thinking by a coach - Ted Ginn sr.

At what point does Rhoden stop writing this drivel -- 10 yrs from now ? 20 years?

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I wish I knew, Boom. Does he ever change his thinking? Will he ever progress in his writing, at least in terms of the positions he takes?

Yeah, too bad Ted Ginn, Sr. got to poor old Troy Smith. Smith just fails to understand he's been neutered, I guess. Maybe Rhoden can 'open his eyes.' *sigh*

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Bill Rhoden has written the same column going on 30 years.
    I really don't understand the constant drum beat.
    Why are you guys so troubled by him? He is what he is.
    Time to move on.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Couldn't agree more. Spot-on, h.a. I miss Wiley. Badly. I'm tired of this crap.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's been called, on SR, and just keeps repeating what he already said . . .

It's sad.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You're right, fishwrapper. It's true. It certainly doesn't seem like anything will ever change where he is concerned.

I think where some of us are coming from is if you can't change him, at least you can discuss what he writes with other journalists who don't agree with you on your assessment of what he writes. There's been a lot of blowback on this point for me and others here who tried to point it out.

It reminds me of the old saying: "Don't spit on me and tell me it's raining." I accept Rhoden's writing, have even defended it, but I'm not going to listen to his sycophantic defenders tell me how great it is, or how it's just as good as some other 'minority' writers' work. It's not, and there's no way I'm listening to that. The other writers deserve better.

That's my personal angle.

Draft saved Draft deleted