1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden and Jesse Jackson strike again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And not ever. He's incapable of achieving that feat, given his skillset.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

And what a wonderful day that was.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say not ever given that David Woodley made it to the Super Bowl as a starting QB. I would say it's not likely, but Woodley proved it's possible for a far less than mediocre QB to get a team to the Super Bowl.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You make good points.

Just as a point of reference, most major-league scouts were bird-dogging the Negro Leagues extensively through the late 30s and early 40s in anticipation of the color line being broken. They knew who could play at the big-league level and who couldn't.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

With Vick, it's not racism that has kept him unsigned to this point.

It's that he is a Coach Killer. And, right now, he is not even the "most storied" Coach Killer who may or may not be looking for a team. Brett Favre is.

Throw out Vick's playoff win at Lambeau in 2002 or his OT romp through the awful Vikings defense in 2002 to win the game and what do you have? One season with a great W-L (2004) but with so-so numbers.

Only the truly desperate coaches (Childress) or the truly secure (Belichick) will take a flyer on Vick right now because of the circus that would entail. I think NFL head coaches who are in their, say, third or fourth year but are NOT directly on the hot seat will definitely not take that chance. Why? Because Shanahan, Holmgren, Cowher, Gruden and Billick are out there, waiting for the January 2010 openings.

It will be an interesting year to follow the coaching carousel because there are not many $3 million a year coaching jobs out there -- just as there are not many years where there are FIVE Super Bowl winning coaches on the sideline, playing the waiting game. This tells me these coaches will do absolutely anything to keep their jobs.

History shows that having Michael Vick on your roster is not conducive to long-term employment.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't say he's a coach killer. Coaches are hired to be fired. They know the rules. I've heard this charge about Vick for years and it's BS. You could say that about a lot of guys.
    Vick is a talent. When he's on, he's impressive. When he's not, he's opened for questions. I don't think its racism but I do think collusion may have a bearing on his not being in a camp right now.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Collusion? Really? I think it's just that he isn't worth the headache that comes with him.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The fact that coaches get fired means Vick isn't a coach killer? What the fuck does that even mean?

He is the absolute definition of a coach killer. A guy who appears to have tremendous amount of potential who does just enough to keep is job because he is "on the verge" of becoming great but never gets there.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Arm, coaches are hired to be fired. In Vick's case, you have to remember that Vick had an ally in Arthur Blank, the team's owner. That goes a long way in any decision making done on the field.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's one guy's take on Vick's situation.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4387960

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I guess it would be, technically, collusion.

None of these NFL coaches want that circus around their training camp.

Now, when the hot seat hits and a coach is 2-4 and/or the starting QB is down, that's a different issue. Vick will be easier to bring in after Week 3 or 4 than before.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Nope, that's not collusion, technically or otherwise. Collusion would be if the teams all got together and decided to shut him out. Each coach independently realizing Vick isn't worth the trouble or the ``circus,'' as you aptly put it, is not collusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted