1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden and Jesse Jackson strike again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Aug 8, 2009.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Michael Vick isn't Rosa Parks in shoulder pads.

Vick isn't simply a convicted felon. He's a convicted felon who hasn't played in two years. Furthermore, when he did play, it's hard to make a case that he was a top-of-the-line QB.

I looked at his numbers in his three Pro Bowl seasons, 2002, 2004 and 2005. In those years, he ranked 25th, 27th and 29th in completion percentage; 20th, 24th and 18th in TD passes; and 20th, 26th and 19th in passing yards. His only solid passing stat came in 2002, when his interception percentage was seventh best (i.e. seventh lowest) in the league.
    So why was he a Pro Bowler in these years? Did his superior running skills make up for the passing deficiencies and make the Falcons' offense one of the league's best? Does that explain his invitations to Hawaii?
    In a word. no.
    While Vick played a role in the Falcons' excellence in rushing offense (fourth, fourth and first in the three years in question), there's little evidence to suggest he made Atlanta one of the best offenses in the league throughout the period. The Falcons were fifth in scoring offense in 2002; they were 16th and 14th the other two years. Their rankings in yards per game were 14th, 16th and 12th. Not bad but hardly elite.

But he's a winner, some say.
    So was Trent Dilfer.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At his peak, one could argue he was the most perplexing offensive player for defenses to deal with. But as time went on, his passing became not good enough to scare people.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Vick would have to improve quite a bit to become a mediocre passer.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and RedHot, Vick's ``plight'' is entirely of his own making. He isn't entitled to any second chances. That doesn't stop anyone from giving him another shot, but there is no obligation. Just because some teams let Little and Stallworth play doesn't mean someone has to let Vick play. If a team doesn't want to deal with the PR headache, that's up to the team.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Leonard Little committed his transgressions when Paul Tagliabue, a weak leader who seldom nailed players who actually merited discipline (oh, but don't dare celebrate touchdowns!), was commissioner.

Donte Stallworth's suspension may well match Vick's actual NFL suspension. If he had gone to jail like Vick, he would spend a couple of seasons away as well.

Agree with those who scoff at the notion that Vick "deserves to work." Dershowitz said the same thing in SI, and it was bullcrap then too. The NFL is a private organization, and it can ban whoever it wants. Vick was nothing special as a quarterback, and his shelf life as a "dangerous offensive weapon" was just about finished before he decided to "own up" to the dog abuse in the face of an investigation closing in around him.

And: it's crazy that journalists keep limiting Vick's crimes to "dog fighting." What he did is closer to deviant, almost serial-killer, behavior, than it is to just staging dog fights.

6. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Not to mention, which Jackson seems oblivious to, is that fans play a significant role, and many won't be happy with a dog killer as their QB. I actually don't have a problem with some team signing Vick, but to paint him as a victim of intolerance along the lines of a Jackie Robinson is flat-out offensive.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It would be a lot easier to take Jesse Jackson seriously if he actually gave a shit about improving race relations in this country instead of spending his time pissing on the grave of people who actually played a role in ending segregation.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like the Road House pull. Nice.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, it's on the free movies on my cable server this month. And anyway, I thought Michael Vick would be bigger.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, well, so far he hasn't shown me shit.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just to pick apart a few specific parts of this column that just didn't sit right ...

Couldn't the same apply to an NFL owner pondering Brett Favre, too? And why compare Vick to Jackie Robinson? And then say this about Robinson: "Vick, unlike Robinson in 1947, has a proven track record. Vick has performed at a star level in the N.F.L. Robinson performed briefly in the Negro Leagues before joining the Dodgers."

Some ESPN talking heads have reported/speculated that the UFL would be willing to pay Vick $1.5 million this season. Of course, Rhoden acknowledging that would run counter to the point he's trying to make here.

Technically, only about eight teams have flatly come out and said no to Vick. The other 24 teams, I would presume, are willing to wait and see about Vick and their own quarterback situation. If he might not be able to play until Week 7, why the rush?

One thing's for sure, I spent way too much time on one post about this column than it really deserves. Because it -- this column -- misses the mark from start to finish.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Robinson won the International League batting title with Montreal in 1946 (.349). He scored 113 runs in 124 games, stole 40 bases and led his team to the pennant and to the Junior World Series. Yeah, he sucked, didn't he, Bill? ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted