1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rhoden Agrees With Sheff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Here we go. The poor chooses to stay poor mentality.

No one is asking for a handout. But for you to now say that the reason blacks aren't playing the sport of baseball is because they're waiting for a handout is pure bullshyt.

What handout is football or basketball giving out that has African Americans playing the game that baseball isn't? I forgot. Marketing the game to a community turns into a "handout" when reffering to African Americans.

"handouts" and the African American community. I've never heard that one before. ::)

It's incredible to see how some of you come up with these shitty conclusions. Then again, seeing how many already are furnished with the ingrained belief that we're always waiting for a handout, I shouldn't be surprised.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Never said that is what you meant.

However, if you're going to accuse any percentage of people who set the tone -- editors or columnists, I presume? -- of letting MLB off the hook or not putting MLB on the hook it would be nice if you'd provide evidence of such behavior.

I don't follow baseball as much as other sports so I read less about it than most. So if I've missed stories written by the tone-setters blaming the black community for the shrinking numbers of American-born blacks in the game I apologize. But has this happened? My sports secton certainly hasn't taken that approach. Hell, the "problem" hasn't even been addressed in our pages.

Not that I think it needs to be. I don't care about the racial/ethnic/cultural makeup of any roster of any sport.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

^^^^^^^^^
    As far as I could see, the tone setting I was speaking on has more to do with the perception of African americans as it relates to the belief of sterotypes associated with us, such as waiting for handouts when subjects happen to speak on race. So yes. My point that they're many journalists and editors who carry these beliefs has teeth.

Whether or not you care about race has zero to do with it. My point is that when we do talk about race, we have to cut through that crap before getting to the issue.

So please, stop misconstruing my point. That's tired.
    Now if you want to defend that clowns point that the African American community is waiting for a "handout" when it comes to baseball that they're receiving in other sports, be my guest.

If you don't CARE to talk about certain things, why bother to post?

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Could you please use the quote function a bit more sparingly?

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Done my man....

LOL

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Man, I need subtitles to keep track of what you're trying to say. I asked if you were referring to columnists and editors (not Boom) setting the tone on this topic. I'm presuming you took that to mean WRITING strories which appeared to put the onus on the black community. Now you say it's more about the perception?

I'l ask it this way: Have I missed stories/columns on the topic that would lead American-born blacks (readers and athletes) to perceive white editors and columnists believe the shrinking number of black MLB players is the fault of the black community? I haven't seen any. I'm assuming since this topic hits closer to home for you that you have read such items.

Or are you saying a lack of outrage or examination of the issue leads blacks to perceive that the white editors/columnists either don't care or prefer the changing racial makeup of the game?

I'm asking you because I sincerely want to understand what you're trying to articulate.

And my comment about the racial makeup of rosters was made to let you know my view of the matter. Personally, I just don't care about the racial/ethnic/cultural makeup of a professional sports roster. If the GM wants to win, he/she will attempt to sign the best players. If the GM fails in that task, he/she will eventually be gone.

But I can be interested in Sheffield's comments and the resulting debate without caring about the personnel breakdown of MLB's teams, no?

Edited to remove the lengthy quotes. ;)

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

^^^^^
    I'm not into these "are you saying (fill in with misinterpertation)____________" contests, since more often than not, it has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Clearly what I said was there for you to read while you're forcing this conversation to go in the direction you want to take it by making your assertions.
    Let me show off my copy and paste skills and repeat myself:

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well then I apologize.

I asked for details because I was trying to "cut through the crap" and understand your perception of the issue and how that perception has been formed. I didn't insult the black community by claiming its members are looking for a handout from MLB and I don't believe that.

Instead, I hoped to keep open the lines of communication and perhaps reach some sort of understanding of your view.

In response, you imply I'm playing a game and say you're not interested.

Nicely done.

9. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Boom has said on more than one occasion he is not a sports journalist. Some posters know that; others don't. Maybe there is some confusion on that point with respect to people being in a position to set the tone for a topic in the world of sports journalism.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Then why do you find a problem in me saying that I find many journalists, removed and detatched from the African American community, unwilling or even interested as you are in this instance, on topics of race, carry beliefs that routinely insult the African American community, hanging onto age old sterotypes, rather than focusing on the subject at hand?

"handouts", black incarceration and other things seem to be retrofitted for race talks when it comes to AFrican Americans, even when they don't apply.

Why do you need an explaination for that, alluding to things that have nothing to do with my initial statement?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

big chip - your focus on one word - "handout" has you misreading what I am suggesting. I don't see why you find the word "handout" inflamitory.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

^^^^^^

I think enough people have seen you for what you are in this thread and have distanced themselves from you.

Draft saved Draft deleted