1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reverse Tiger question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Aug 6, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First, note, I'm a Tiger guy. I love success stories, my travels have had me dealing locally with the whole Tiger deal from time to time since he was like 11 years old, and I think he's one of the few most phenomal stories in sports/non-sports history (a debate for another thread).

On the Web, it's a non-debate, he's a story up front, pretty prominent.

But I'm curious -- if you're at a paper with a fixed number of 1C stories, how much does a ho-hum, Tiger cruises by three Buick Open mean in terms of your stories of the day? 1C? A tease? Could it be argued that when he does one of these "routine" tour stops and wins without drama, it's kind of "Oh, Tiger won? Thanks. Anything else going on?" (This one might be different, too, his 50th victory.)

Does he win so much that sometimes it's not really "news," is what I'm asking.

Or does he, and will he always, transcend that?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

He's 1C here, third element on the page. Main reasoning is that it's his 50th victory. Secondary reasoning is that it's a slow news day.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Most golf stories, save for majors and maybe the TPC, go inside when it comes to Tiger. It certainly will today, with an unusually busy summer Sunday in these parts.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

down south, where football is getting cranked up and there was a nascar race, it probably goes inside.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Thanks to all ... for those interested, I'm looking at a secondary thing, though. This event aside, could he win so much that doing so in a "minor" tournament is diminishing his own importance, if that makes sense?

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Buick would love Tiger to be on the front page of every Monday paper!

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I think there is some of that. The bigger story today would have been if he'd blown the lead after 54 holes.

8. Garner

Garner Member

I don't think it diminishes his importance at all. If anything, I think it adds a lot more fuel to the story and Tiger's legacy. I mean, if Henry Joe Johnson-Blow had won the tournament it wouldn't have gone inside, and the issue wouldn't even be up for discussion.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, if it's his 50th win, it's kind of a milestone. I'd put it out front in some form or another.

What's the record for wins? He can't be all that far behind, right?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Actually, I don't think the number 50 is all that meaningful for purposes of news play. The simple fact is that when Tiger Woods wins something, people want to know.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

He's 32 behind Sam Snead. And yeah, for the purposes of this discussion, leave No. 50 out of the equation.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think it's tough to leave No. 50 out of the equation. It's No. 50. The question is still valid at No. 51 or 54, but No. 50 is kinda big.

Draft saved Draft deleted