1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reverse publishing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 27, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is not a term I had heard or read until today. From the weekly NY Times Regional Group newsletter:

Meanwhile, these weeklies are leading NYTRMG's experimentation with reverse publishing and the first article submitted to a new community journalism Web site was published in print last week. By opening Web sites to submitted material, readers can become reporters and photographers in their community. The best of the submitted material will be published in the weeklies.
    Starting this week, questions on hot local topics will be posted on the Web and responses will be printed. This will expand the use of material submitted online from news to editorial pages.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I thought that was our job.

Maybe the Times can let them be editors, too. Then they can count up the reverse profits.

3. thebirds

thebirds New Member

Very scary stuff. I'm not in a union and I know nothing about them, but can I assume that the NYT Group papers attempting this wretched experiment are non-union shops? Seems to me that it might be hard to get that sort of thing past the language of a contract.
    "Citizen Journalism" is now on my list of great oxymorons.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know...it doesn't say these publicly submitted things will replace the work of reporters, just supplement things on the website -- and, in some case, the weekly.

I suppose the bad thing could be if citizen submissions take space away from reporters' stories.

But we're going to get more of this kind of interactivity with readership, not less. It's something everybody might as well just get used to.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It wasn't already?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

the first time I heard the term "community journalism" it immediately struck me as a euphemism for "absence of standards." This looks like more of the same. Face it: We're heading to being obsolete. Maybe the DMN figure out a way to cover UT and the Cowboys this way ...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i had a publisher friend of mine at another paper buy into this crap, only he wanted to use it as an internet link to increase traffic. oh my god, he was going to revolutionize internet journalism.

the paper introduced the idea with a story, the pub wrote a column about how great it would be (god he was stoked), house ads, the whole line of bullshit. the paper received about six submissions ,,, the usual 'johny and the other eight dorks won their little league game last night' kinda stuff. the 'vision' eventually died about a month or two later.

i told him 'so people don't want to do our jobs anymore than you want to go to taco bell and make your own nachos, eh.' i believe his reply was 'go fuck yourself.'

Draft saved Draft deleted