1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reverend in Marcus Dupree 30 on 30 piece said ESPN defamed him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 30, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watch out? Hell - I'm sure most recruiters make a beeline for them. The tough part must be trying to figure out whom to pay off.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's what killed the Southwest Conference.

And that's why it doesn't happen anymore. Though the SEC appears poised to go down that road if they aren't careful.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Guy was trying to get him to turn pro ASAP so he would get agent's commission. Uncle was getting paid by Oklahoma.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"They made me look bad by showing this on TV."

"Is there some part of in that's incorrect?"

"No, it's all true. I just wish they hadn't shown it."

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bottom line is that a great running back from an impoverished background was taken advantage of. Also, did anyone notice that one person who did help Dupree get his life back together was Cecil Price. Price was linked to the murders of three civil rights workers in Philadelphia, Ms in 1964. At the time of the murders, he was 26 years-old and a deputy sheriff in Neshoba County, Mississippi.
    Though never charged with the murders Price was convicted in October 1967 of violating the civil rights of the three victims. He was sentenced to a six year prison term and served four and a half years at the Sandstone federal penitentiary in Minnesota.
    Price was responsible for getting Dupree his CDL license.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And the trucking company he worked for, Olen Burrage Trucking, was owned by another of the murder suspects. Burrage also owned the farm where the bodies were found.

Price died in 2001 when he fell from an equipment lift and hit his head on a truck bumper. I'd say he got his in the end.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow, didn't know that it went as deep as the guy who owned the farm where the bodies were found. Good Stuff Steak!

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So would they make a 30 for 30 on someone seeking damages from alleged defamation in another 30 for 30?

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

It's always the same effing conversation. Starts out with "this is not true" and always seems to end with "this wasn't very nice."

Draft saved Draft deleted