1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reverend in Marcus Dupree 30 on 30 piece said ESPN defamed him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Reverend wants revenge.
    http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20101230/NEWS/12300344/Minister++ESPN+show+defamed+him

2. CRR13

CRR13 Member

Who to cheer for? Tough choice.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He can seek advice from spiritual advisor Cecil Newton.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hey, if he is an honest man, he should sue.

The problem with that is there is that ever so slight possibility that he is not an honest man. :)

I think he has no idea what would happen to him if the courts got involved.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for it. I for one would love to see his church's fundraising and appropriations receive a full public accounting.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I also think Southern Miss, Texas and Oklahoma are on lines one, two and three asking him to shut the fuck up.

Which, if he accepted a payoff from them to stop bitching could be extortion, right?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll bet ESPN's lawyers are better than his

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They never got into why he was pushing So. Miss. And the way the doc was cut - with him explaining (poorly) what happened to Dupree's money - would seem to absolve ESPN from any claims.
    The guy is looking to get paid. Again.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

And probably will.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I found the interviews with the various recruiters the most interesting.

"There's always an uncle."

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a longtime assistant coach write a book about what really goes on with recruiting. I'm sure there is some word or phrase like "so and so needs some "convincing."" that is passed along to someone outside of the program who takes care of things.
    I'm surprised more news isn't leaked by various programs who get "out-convinced" by another program. Must be like nukes - mutally assured destruction.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The uncle ... the preacher ... the guardian ... the advisor ---- watch out for all of 'em!

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No one would do that, because they always think they're going to get another job, and don't want to be blackballed from the old boys' network.

The NCAA's statute of limitations on major violations runs out after five years, so even if one of those schools gave DuPree $5 million back in 1982, they couldn't be touched.

Draft saved Draft deleted