1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reuters: Mauresmo quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 3, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Two-time Grand Slam winner and former world No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo retires at 30.

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSTRE5B21OI20091203

Won the Paris Open in February, but was oft-injured and hasn't played since the U.S. Open.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

At least she was all woman. As far as we know.

She was French, so did she shave her pits?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of the few one-handed backhands leaving the game. But I guess another is coming back next month.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From the comments section of the story I just read.

"She's got places to go and pussy to eat."

It's horrible, but I just about choked when I read it.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember about 10 years ago listening to a late-night sports talk show (Bruce Jacobs, I think) and a guy called and said Billie Jean King broke her nose. The host said, "Yeah?" and the guy said "She fell face-first into a bush."
    Not a funny joke, but kind of funny that some moron probably waited on hold for an hour or so to tell it.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

wasn't she the player Martina Hingis called a "man"?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was Davenport who said, "She hits like a man" and everybody freaked out because Mauresmo was openly gay.

I seem to remember Davenport flipping out at the next press conference.

9. BTExpress

From AP:

"She's here with her girlfriend. She's half a man," Hingis was reported to have said in German. On the same day, Lindsay Davenport said she thought at times she was playing against a man in her semifinal loss to Mauresmo. While Hingis denied the "half a man" comment, Davenport angrily insisted the next day that she was referring only to Mauresmo's muscular play, especially the way she slugged one-handed topspin backhands unlike other women. After the final, Hingis said she had "nothing to apologize for," and refused to talk about the issue.

Mauresmo's coach, Christophe Fournerie, said: "I'd like to make a distinction between Davenport, who not only apologized but also wrote a personal note to Amelie, and Hingis' behavior, which was disappointing. In fact, she (Hingis) said that Amelie was half a man because she lived with a woman, and that's not acceptable. It would be better if she reflected a little before speaking."

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No surprise whatsoever. If there were more athletes like Lindsay Davenport, sports would be a much, much classier place.

11. BTExpress

As long as you don't try to get a massage at the same time as Lindsay.

According to Alexandra Stevenson (aka Julius Erving's love child), at the '98 U.S. Open Davenport crossed Stevenson's name off the list for massages and replaced it with her own, saying, "Get this fucking junior out of here." She then kicked Alexandra's bag. Upon seeing the incident, Venus Williams told Alexandra, "Just let me know; I'll beat her up for you."

I'm wondering if there is anybody classy on this tour except for Clijsters (and Dementieva, of course).

Draft saved Draft deleted