1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reuters: Landis fails doping test

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hungryhungryhippo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re: Reuters: Landis has positive doping test?

Exactly. trounced, you're as bad as a radio talk-show host. Don't need any proof to convict, do you?

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

To be fair, it sounds like Mizzou is implying the same thing.

He didn't say it outright, but he definitely is implying it.

So let's save some of the trounced-bashing for all the other Armstrong haters.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You know, with cycling, I'm almost at the point of capitulation. Did they dope or didn't they? Who cares, at least we got to see the Alpe d'Huez on TV.

Put fucking bionic legs on every last one of them, just like the Sixty Million Franc Man. Maybe the whole thing'll be over a week sooner.

"Nous avons la technologie..."

4. trounced

trounced Active Member

If this was a guy that was unliked, stories such as the one linked would be all over the place. He cheated on his wife. Why wouldn't he cheat at cycling?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5508863

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This story is like a stomach punch. The big question for me is is it realistic to assume that someone can not possibly win the Tour de France while riding clean, because there will always be riders who will try to get over on the testing? If that is the case, how sad is it for the guy who really wants to do it without steroids or EPO, but now has two choices: 1) Don't even bother trying, because it's futile or 2) Cheat to keep up with everyone else.

This is why performance-enhancing drugs suck. Once they are into a sport, they drive out talented athletes who were willing to do it honestly and would have been talented enough. How many guys have not made major league rosters over the last 15 years because there rightful spot was being taken by someone who was willing to inject himself full of drugs?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Lance Armstrong's rise from cancer survivor to Tour Champion is one of the warmest and fuzziest sports stories of our lifetime...

People desperately want it to be true... Nobody wants to believe the guy cheated.

It is the exact opposite thing that's happening with Barry Bonds.

More than likely the two athletes are very similar...

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He cheated on his wife, why wouldn't he cheat at cycling?

I'm not even remotely suggesting Armstrong was clean, but that's without question the dumbest thing I'v e ever read.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow. No one has fanboy'd Floy'd more than me on this board.

I told my SO after the 17th stage -- "that ride will really bring the drug testors sniffing around." But I just figured that he'd trained so much in the heat of the mountains around SoCal that he had a natural advantage over the other riders. I was wrong.

And I'm crushed. Absolutely crushed. First Tyler and his dog story was exposed, and now this.

:'(

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You might want to pick up the Parisian telephone directory, pick a name randomly and call and ask the person if they want to believe he cheated.

The European press was all over him for years. The anti-doping agency thinks he cheated and has done everything it possibly can to try to catch him. It's not like he hasn't been scutinized. My gut tells me he was just a really good cheater, not that he's clean, but the fact that he hasn't been busted isn't because people want to believe he's clean.

10. trounced

trounced Active Member

If it's Bonds, Bob Knight, George W. Bush, or John Rocker on that bike instead of Armstrong it would be said that any of those guys cheated with the evidence presented. Because it's Lance Armstrong, there's no way he cheated.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That story is your rock-solid evidence? Never mind one of the people claiming it is the wife he cheated on.

Also, your logic is flawed. He cheated on his wife, ergo he cheated on cycling. By that thinking, I probably should be able to convict some very notable politicians of some very significant crimes.

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

Why? It speaks directly to his character. He's a cheater.

Draft saved Draft deleted