1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reuters: Landis fails doping test

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hungryhungryhippo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Anyone know what the benefits would be to having a low level of testosterone if that's what actually happened?

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It made Richard Simmons millions upon millions of dollars.

3. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Member

Innocent until proven guilty? What are you, some kind of commie?

This is America! You are judged by knee-jerk public reaction. That is what matters, not your 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'due process' crap. Go back to Russia!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I remember seeing that report. Don't remember what came of it though.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

rimshot!!

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Just babbling...

I read a huge thing on the differences between what the cyclists take and what baseball players take. It basically said in some ways, it's on the opposite end of the spectrum. Baseball players want to bulk up-- cyclists don't.

What if he took a corticosteroid... something to suppress the pituitary. That would bring down some of his testosterone. It would also explain the degenerative hip.

But you'd think his testosterone would not be too low because of his facial hair.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wonder how ANYONE could compete in the Tour--three weeks of impossibly grueling bicycling--and not cheat.

8. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Interesting. The hip injury didn't just come out of nowhere, it's been an issue since a crash, but I guess it still could have been effected.

This is weird. Why do you cheat in the one way that they will almost surely catch you?

9. Lugnuts

Yeah... that's what I'm thinking. You can break your hip and not have to have it replaced. Any doctor will tell you the number one side effect of an oral corticosteroid is "necrosis of the hip."

Why that particular drug makes that particular body part vulnerable, I don't know. I wish DocTalk were here... He's a great expert on the endocrine system.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I called Uma, she gave me an explination which I am too clueless to recite with any degree of accuracy.

So I put in a PM to DocTalk and I hope he sheds light on this for us.

11. Lugnuts

Rats! I would've loved to have heard her answer. Next time, record it and transcribe. ;D

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Better yet, put her on a webcam and let her address the populace. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted