1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retiring college numbers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by huntsie, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

USC "retires" its Heisman winners. But a couple of years ago, high school stud Allen Bradford wanted Mike Garrett's No. 21. Pete Carroll asked Garrett. Garrett said, "If the guy can play, give him the number."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So at Kansas you can wear Wilt the Stilt's number, unless your last name is Chamberlain?

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I didn't know USC had that.

I know Michigan has a tradition where the No. 1 jersey is reserved for a senior wideout that the coaches/teammates feel has earned the number. Braylon Edwards was the last player to wear that jersey. Mario Manningham was rumored to be next in line, but he's gone. Not sure if Rich Rodriguez will continue that tradition.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ole Miss used to have a similar thing with No. 38, in honor of Chucky Mullins (DB who was paralyzed in a game in 1990 or so; later came back to school but died a short time later). It basically went to the defensive captain, although there were a number of intangibles beyond talent that went into picking it.
    Couple years ago they retired the jersey. Now they just give an award.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Don't take that as gospel. I thought I remembered hearing about that once while watching a Notre Dame game, but it was a long time ago. It very well could have been against Michigan.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's an interesting point ... I guess Danny Manning's son couldn't wear 25, but his daughter probably could since the women get red banners and the men blue.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

How does the ref signal, "Foul on No. 20,000?"

Local U has one retired number in FB, guy won a Heisman, and several in basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted