1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retirement? Nope. Vin Scully is coming back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He might not get paid, but Mr. "She is G0NE" will be in the booth for most of the (dreadful) Dodgers season in 2012.

http://fangsbites.com/2011/08/breaking-news-vin-scully-announces-hes-returning-to-call-his-63rd-season-with-the-los-angeles-dodgers/

And ignore the video. Just ... listen.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kirk+gibson+home+run+1988+world+series&aq=1&oq=kirk+gibson+home+ru

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Would that homer be even half as celebrated if Joe Buck was sleepwalking through the call?

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Glad to see my nights driving home from the office will continue to be entertaining, thanks to XM.

4. MileHigh

Jack Buck probably had the better call, but NO WAY does Vin make that kind of call. Both are as different as apples and pineapples.

Both appreciated for who made them. I expected that call from Vin. The call. And then silence. And then Buck doing what he did.

And Vin had the extra pressure that it was a Dodgers game he was on the mic for ... for a national audience and the dreadful Rudy Martzke over his shoulder critiquing his every syllable.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wait - the Dodgers aren't even going to wait until their evaluations are completed?
    T.J. Simers column on that embarrassment was good stuff.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This. Exactly this.

Vin Scully is how God intended people to listen to a ballgame.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks to a soft schedule the next few weeks, a MVP and a Cy Young candidate, the Dodgers (4-0, 6-4 last 10) are gaining momentum and will be in the race in a terrible division by the middle of September.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

During the June series when the Tigers played at the Dodgers, as a "special treat" for the Detroit viewing audience, it was arranged that Scully was going to call a half-inning of the game on the Detroit broadcast. It was spun as some kind of memorial-tribute to Ernie Harwell or something.

Scully was on mike for a full half inning. During that time, he spun off two or three yarns about the Dodgers in the 40s/50s, all entertaining, and all of which I already knew pretty much word for word, and avoided entirely making any reference to any of the action on the field until he said, "and that wraps up the inning."

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

... and I'm betting it was more entertaining than anything that transpired on the field that inning.

10. MileHigh

Vin was firing on all cylinders:

On the LAT report for fans to rate his performance in a survey: "I didn't get mine yet. Must be delayed in the mail.''

On not holding a press conference to announce his return: ""I hate to make a big deal. I'm not trying to be a Brett Favre."

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're going to pass three teams -- whom they trail by 11, 8 and 1 games -- in their final 32 games?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Biggest problem is they can't play the Dodgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted