1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resurrecting the champ

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 13, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This may be a D_B, but here's a trailer for a movie based on the J.R. Moehringer story that was in the L.A. Times Magazine in 1997 and, I think, is in Best American Sports Writing of the Century:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/resurrectingthechamp/

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought maybe Jon Voight and Rick Rich Ricky Schroeder were in talks to do a remake.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite all-time sports stories. I really hope they do it justice.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It'll be hard to live up to the original. And by hard, I mean pretty much impossible.

I love the line on the movie poster, though - "Based on a true story that was based on a lie."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since Voight's character died, THAT would have been an interesting remake.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's where the resurrection part comes in.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I saw the preview for this the other day and immediately started freaking out because I instantly recognized it as J.R.'s story. The girl was more than a little scared.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sat down and re-read the story last night. Great, great stuff.

9. Word is that the movie paints Moehringer as a buffoon who was duped and went with the story, the opposite of what really happened:

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-me-parsons30aug30,1,1498530,full.column?coll=la-news-columns&ctrack=1&cset=true

Draft saved Draft deleted