1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Nov 18, 2006.

1. moonlight

moonlight Member

Hey guys... I'm starting to look for a new job after about six years at my current one, and I need to update my resume.

I'm going to assume my experience is much more important than my education at this point. What details should I give under the experience part? Is it possible to give too much information?
    And since this is not my first job right out of college, I don't need the fanciness of my first resume, do I? I mean the heavy paper and jazzy fonts. Am I right that what my resume says is more important that how it looks?

And as far as clips go, are ones older than six-eight months too old to submit?

Thanks.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

A great clip is a great clip. I interviewed for a job a couple years ago and the clip that the SE and ME kept bringing up was three years old at the time.

3. Clips are clips. If it rocks, include it.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I should clarify ... Make sure the ad doesn't specify clips only be so old. Don't defy instructions.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice paper -- something other than the 8 1/2 by 11 you boost from the office -- wouldn't hurt.

Fonts don't matter too much, but should make it easy to read.

Your experience should bowl down to what you do and have done. If you have been a prep writer for six years, you can list that you have been a high school writer responsible for xx of schools. Cover games on deadline is worth noting if a small paper. If you write columns or work the desk or do layout or supervise anyone, that is worth a mention.

If you vote in the state AP poll, do a weekly feature on a player, bake cookies for the staff on Fridays that doesn't need to be in the resume, but you could bring it up at an interview.

If you have held several jobs, outline those. If you started as a high school writer and now cover a college beat, list those jobs and duties separately.

Draft saved Draft deleted