1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gretchd, Apr 2, 2008.

1. gretchd

gretchd Member

I'm updating my resume and am not sure what to do with the growing amount of freelance work I'm doing.

Any ideas on how it should be incorporated into my resume?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It depends on your format, but I put all my freelancing work under one subject, like "Freelance writer" and the date.

Under that, I've got: "Reported in several publications and wire services from cities across the country," and I list every publication at the next bullet. It works for me, especially with the format I use.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup

4. gretchd

gretchd Member

What if I freelance in more than one media (like reporting/design/photography, etc.)?

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think you could trim that a little, considering that reporting from different cities is, in itself, not a great accomplishment.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think that depends on how much freelance work you've got. Do you have enough photo or design work that it merits its own spot? If not, you could combine them into the same category, as long as you adjust the group heading, so to speak.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's true.

8. gretchd

gretchd Member

Can I put just "freelancer" then list Project/Client Name (design/photography/editing, etc.)?

BTW, thanks for the replies. I've never had enough freelance work before to feel like it needed to be included.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think if it's from the same publication, you'd group it under the publication and mention what you did at that particular stop.

If you write for one shop, take photos for another and do pagination for a third, then you could give each one its own separate category.

10. gretchd

gretchd Member

It's different places. The design and photo work is largely client-based, not publications.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've listed the top 10 publications or so in order by circulation. That, to me, works quite well. I haven't listed the circulation, but I assume that any SE who would ever see my resume would know something about the papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted