1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

resume question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 19, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is technically non-sports, so I'll throw it over here ... a friend of my wife passed along a resume for review and she has used a lot of personal pronouns. ("I supervised ..." "My responsibilities included ..." "I was responsible ...") She said she had just read an article suggesting that job candidates make their resumes "more personal." I'm more accustomed to leaving the pronouns out.

Anybody in the business of writing or reading resumes have a strong feeling about this one way or the other? I just felt like, in this case, the "me, me, me" thing was getting in the way of her core message.

2. hiredguy

hiredguy Member

It seems to me that since it's YOUR resume, pronouns are unnecessary. Obviously "Supervised several department programs," means "I supervised several department programs."

I would leave the pronouns at home.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My impression of that old saw about "no personal pronouns" was that it was supposed to keep the applicant from seeming too self-centered, or too arrogant, or some BS line of reasoning.

It's her resume. It's supposed to be about her. She apparently did those things. As far as I'm concerned, it's only a problem if she's lying.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leave out the pronouns. Leave out every unncessary word. Don't be cute. You've got about 10 seconds to grab someone's attention.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Which means that for many sports jobs, you should stick your resume on top of a box of Krispy Kremes.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What JR and hiredguy said. Given that it's a resume, we know that said person did/accomplished/overhauled/supervised, etc., etc.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I never like using "I" too much anyway.

Sounds very egotistical and non-team.

Draft saved Draft deleted