1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume' Quandry: Does High School Experience Belong or Not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Re: Summer Job Movement

I don't necessarily disagree with blogging. In fact, in general, I think more reporters should be doing it.

And Superfly, a lot of places, including my shop, are asking reporters to take video cameras and digital cameras into the field. It's happening. Believe it. It's the age of the internet, which again, I'm all for. But if papers want more without increasing the staff, pay them more or hire more people.

2. Re: Summer Job Movement

Willie-Butch, what are the reporters being asked to shoot. And what is there pay?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Touching.

Yeah, reporters are really doing the work of three writers at some shops. You ever been through a freeze? Or layoffs? That's what happens: the responsibilities are the same, and there are fewer people to do them.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I couldn't tell you their pay. Anytime they go into the field for a feature or, I'm guessing here, a breaking news story, they're filming interviews and such for the internet.

5. Re: Summer Job Movement

Buckweaver: If you would, please give me some sort of example of that. Is that considered three events in the same day, or three times as many pages? I understand how the workers have more workload, but doesn't that also mean that the overall workload is shrinking?

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

It's simple, superfly. When there's layoffs or when people leave, other reporters have to pick up the slack. It's not that difficult to understand. I'm not saying it happens 24/7/365, but it does indeed happen. A lot.

When a beat writer leaves, the beat doesn't go unreported.

7. Re: Summer Job Movement

Willie-Butch, and, without trying to sound condescending here, how much extra time and effort does that take?

In my short time on the full-time gig, I've written roughly 19 features. To take a camera out and film part of the interview, I can't imagine would take more than, say, an hour per. And that's max.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

It's very obvious that you're very, very young.

9. Re: Summer Job Movement

WB - I can totally understand it happening, I've certainly seen it happen. At my old place, the transition went like this...in 2004, there was one guy covering the D1 men's bball team and one guy covering the D1 FB team, with two reporters backing each up. Then the D1 FB guy moved to NFL, one of the backup moved up, and the D1 Men's BB guy became a columnist. The same guy doing FB is now doing men's BB. He's mediocre at each, but he was never better than mediocre at either.

In the end, all that's changed is the months he has off his beat he can't sit on his ass like he used to.

10. Re: Summer Job Movement

Correct, WB, I'm extremely young. But I'm also extremely hard-working and extremely ambitious. My guess is you're very, very middle-aged.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Snuka, do you enjoy trying to tell people who've been around longer than you how they should do their jobs? Why, with as busy as you are blogging and taking video, I'm shocked you have the time to worry about other people.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm not even in my 30s.

Draft saved Draft deleted