1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume' Quandry: Does High School Experience Belong or Not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Re: Summer Job Movement

yeah, I agree with you. Let there be no confusion there.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

bitch and moan all you want, but it's where we're headed. it sucks.

3. Re: Summer Job Movement

It doesn't suck, it's exciting and refreshing and new. I didn't get hired at a good paper a month ago because I could record or shoot video, I got hired because I said in my interview that I relished the opportunity to learn new things. If that means I have to take a camera out sometime, it means I have to take a camera out sometime.

Soon enough, papers will convert talented writers who are young and savvy into online guys, like happened at my current job. The guy whom I took over for now shoots video, designs, etc. and basically acts as a web producer. He'll be gobbled up by a major metro in a year, maybe two at the most.

Granted, most of the senior members of this board are more senior than I am, but that's an advantage for myself and the young guys out there.

Sending video cameras out with reporters isn't insane. Asking them, now, after little training, to turn in Oscar-worthy stuff is insane. With a little time and a little training, it's going to seem brilliant.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

It does suck. For reporters.

5. Re: Summer Job Movement

What can you not report if you have to spend 15 minutes getting some film?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It sucks because they continue to add work and responsibility without increasing our pay.

7. Re: Summer Job Movement

Now THAT does suck. But for young reporters who are getting into the field, we know what to expect. I totally agree that it sucks not to get what you deserve. But let me ask you something, with the state of the industry, is just writing giving a customer/employer all they deserve?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Of course not, because how could your writers possibly be taxed when they're doing the work of three writers because two other positions in your department have been eliminated and now they're asking you to blog and take photos and come in for an audio podcast twice a week?

Of course customers/employers are not getting all they deserve. How could we be so silly? ::)

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, but who says the reporter has to do it all? Why can't separate people be hired to shoot video, just like we hire photogs?

10. Re: Summer Job Movement

Come on, man, don't get all nuts on me. But are reporters really doing the work of three writers, or are we covering one third of the amount of shit. And is blogging really that difficult? It's writing down your thoughts. You think them. Type them. And really, how many places are asking writers to bring out cameras to events? I'm not saying I have tons of experience, but in all my past and my present shop, I've never seen it.

I'd give anything to do a podcast. I want to be read, I want to be seen, I want to be heard. Don't you all?

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

haha. Why hire separate people to do those jobs when they can just throw it on one already underpaid reporter. If said reporter doesn't wanna do it, they will find someone who will, probably for considerably less money, aka, someone just out of college.

I can't wait to see the reactions when some of our reporters are asked to take a video camera into the field. It should be priceless. I feel for those people. Some of them, at least.

12. Re: Summer Job Movement

The SportsJournalists.com answer is, "They say we have to do it all. Fuck profit margins."

The real answer is, because it's now part of some of our jobs. It's not part of mine yet, but I hope it is someday soon.

At my shop, we have a seperate person to shoot video, and he does an awesome job. The thing is, how many times have you been asked to shoot video, and for what? If you're being asked to take a video camera to a bullshit high school girls field hockey match, hell yeah there's something wrong with it. That's the editors fault for assigning stupid shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted