1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume help

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by irnsdn, May 9, 2011.

1. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

Hi,

I've just completed my freshman year of college, and I'm working on reformatting my resume. I was wondering if someone who has experience reviewing resumes could look mine over for me, and just make sure the formatting is okay. I'm sending it to my journalism professor, but I thought another pair of eyes can't hurt.

Please PM me if you're able to, along with an email address that I can send it to.

Thanks.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Besides your journalism professor, your college should have a career center.

3. irnsdn

irnsdn New Member

Stitch - I'm working with a lady who works at our Career Services office as well. She told me to have a few different people from the field take a look at it, so I just thought I'd see if anyone here is able to help.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

this

5. Metallicat

Metallicat New Member

Just got my first job out of college. A bit of small advice:

Do not put an "objective" on your resume. It takes up too much room and the objective is obvious. Every career counselor at my college told me to put an objective at the top, but it is 100 percent unnecessary — this was told to me by someone who goes through resumes all day.

Also, this is for more down the road when you apply for a first job, but put the most relevant work expereince at the top. I strung a few times for the AP, yes I included it, but I put my internships and freelance work for small papers (the kind of job I was applying for, basically) at the top.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think objective is something you put at the beginning when you have nothing else to put. As soon at you have any sort of jobs/internships/unpaid work, chuck that thing.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I want a job. Those hiring know that, which makes objective statements silly.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

When I was coming out of college, my resume had as my career objective to be the sports editor at a metro daily by 35. I used it to show I was ambitious.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

quick resume question.
    I was ASE up until March when I got laid off. Same paper hired me back in May as SE. Do I list this as two separate items on my resume?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

List it like this:

PODUNK PRESS
    Assistant Sports Editor, xxx - March 2011
    Sports Editor, May 2011-present

Draft saved Draft deleted