1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Any advice on how to word your brief job description on your resume when applying for "a communications manager" position?

I guess I'm asking how do I spin "my beats included" and "was eventually given a column" and "wrote series on . . . " into useful things in a communications position.

I'm happy with my cover letter. But I feel my resume is too, well, newspapery, for lack of a better term.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've never been able to make that translation so I'll be watching this one for tips.

But for reasons that have nothing to do with that, I'm glad to see this thread and wish you had started it sooner for your own sake. :D

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Pete:

Maybe something like this:

"Over the course of my career, I've been a true multitasker. I've developed various areas of specialization within my field, helped shape opinion, and participated in planning and executing a number of long-range projects."

Hope that helps a little!!

4. spud

spud Member

Maybe this is what general comm jobs are looking for here, I don't know, but that would put me to sleep if I'm doing the hiring. It's broader and more shapeless than the Pacific.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Since Pete mentioned that it was a communications job, I focused mainly on corporate-speak. It's really difficult to disguise what we do, because it's so specific and quantifiable. I was trying to generalize on purpose because it sounds like Pete wants to de-emphasize the newspaper aspect of his background.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

concentrate on the skills needed to do your job, not the job itself: i.e., research, fact-finding, writing, editing, ability to work on your own, etc.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For starters, use more active verbs.

Instead of "was eventually given a column" go with "earned a weekly column" or "promoted to columnist" or whatever.

Instead of "my beats included... " you "Covered x, y and z for the Podunk Press and did this or that." You might mention that you broke news or adjusted schedule to cover live events, etc. to let them know that you would be cool to be on call for big stuff.

Instead of "wrote a series on ... " you "Demonstrated in-depth coverage with a 8-story series on zzz that won a SportsJournalists.com award."

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And never say you have "excellent communications skills."

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pete, do you have any news side experience? If so, that would make you an excellent communications manager.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I do. And I sit on a board of governors as their "communications manager." Don't worry folks, it's not a conflict of interest! I checked. Thoroughly!

Draft saved Draft deleted