1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant stories, advise, complaints and compliments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Feb 12, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

At dinner last night, the check comes and as I glance at it I notice that the bottle of wine I ordered is not on the check. So I tell the wife that its not on the bill and I call over the waiter and tell him. It's a $100 check without the wine and its a $27 bottle of wine.

The waiter is thankful that I said something. He would probably have to make good to the owner.
    I could haver just paid the cash on the check and left.

He comes back quickly, the only time last night he was quick about anything, with the new check with the wine on it.
    I thought he should have comped a dessert or the coffee or something.

Honesty is its own reward, but ...

too much of an expectation?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Probably not too much of an expectation, but if you make quality demands of strangers, you're going to be disappointed more often than not.

There are many -- too many -- people on this earth who just don't think in those terms. Doesn't even cross their minds.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guy is probably just relieved (and shocked). Probably didn't even think of offering a free dessert for that reason.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Plus, you oftentimes have to get a manager's approval to comp anything these days, and a lot of managers probably wouldn't give approval in that particular situation. And the server may not have wanted to mention his screwup.

But, yes, I would have been a little disappointed, too, in your situation.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If I was the server, the last thing in the world I would have wanted to do is point out to the manager my screwup and asked to give you guys something free.

It would have been nice to get something free, but you did the right thing. That should be enough.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The guy will be looking out for you, for life.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Try to go back soon and see if the guy remembers you.

Draft saved Draft deleted