1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant ethics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oldschoolguy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The problem with just leaving a smaller tip is that the waitstaff registers it as the customer being cheap rather than a form of protest over wrongdoing on their part. You really have to tell them. They come in contact with lots of cheap people, so that's the assumption they'll make.

2. FIXED

3. Oldschoolguy

Oldschoolguy New Member

Agree. Except I think we covered that base, by first asking the waitress why the wine was charged at $8 instead of $6. I guess it's a sketchy presumption that she'll connect the dots, tho. Oh well. Like I said, I'll definitely menion it to the owners next time I see one of them.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Shameless attempt at profiteering... lemme guess... their checks come to the table with 18 percent gratuity already stealthily put onto the total, too.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I doubt there's any sinister plot here--more like ignorance, sloppiness and laziness---a sign of the times (grumpy old man speaking here)

Server orders your wine, bartender says, "We're out of the house" and then just gives the server a glass of the next most expensive. Server figures, "What the hell, it's only $2.00".

And then you to have ask yourself what the the hell is the front of house doing?

Why are there tent cards still on the table promoting a wine they don't have?

Striving for mediocrity.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that, if the owners really are friends, they would appreciate your talking with them about the problems you've seen at their restaurant. Do so without being angry or expecting anything in return.

Then, next time you visit the restaurant, steal all the toilet paper out of the restrooms.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If it's the good, soft TP, you keep it.
    If it's the rough kind, save it for your next TPing trip.

9. If you're trying to get your message across, tipping 15 percent won't accomplish anything. Most people (I think) tip 15 percent as matter of course, and raise it to 20 extra-good service.

Tip 10 percent, and let your friends know in as informal a "Hey, you might want to know about this" manner as possible what the server did. Keep in mind, you are probably going to get that server fired, too.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Or put it in the guest bathroom. Unless they're paying to stay, of course.

11. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

A tip is the only way a customer has to show dissatisfaction short of telling someone to their face that they suck as a server.
    People often claim you can't jilt the server for bad food because she doesn't make it. Well, if my order is cocked up and I tell the server that, then I short him or her on the tip, you can bet your ass he or she will be reaming someone in the kitchen after I leave.
    Therefore, the tip method worked.
    Shit flows downhill and the server is at the top of that hill.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wrong. If your problem is with the service, feel free to tip less or not at all.

If your problem is with the food or something else, you speak with a manager.

Shorting a waitress because your food was poorly cooked is just cheap. He or she still served you.

Draft saved Draft deleted