1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans pounce on HUGE gaffe by Obama!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 27, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

George Soros in 3... 2... 1...

2. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's pathetic to point out that he claimed his parents met at the Selma March when it was four years after he was born?

A Republican would get roasted alive for that.

4. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

If this is all the GOP has, then that's pathetic, but not as pathetic as those who jumped on it and couldn't wait to call the right wing lackies on talk radio about it.

5. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

A sleeper for Post of the Year.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama mixes up Auschwitz and Buchenwald. The Repubs mix up Auschwitz and Disneyland. :D :D

7. In other words, the media should come out of the closet and at least admit they're in the tank for the Dems.

I don't know about you, but I'm not panicking at all.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Come on. You're in three states a day, put in front of crowds you know nothing about, juggling epic amounts of information on no sleep, with rapid-fire questions on a vast array of subjects. Any one of us would make 100 times as many fuckups.

If this degree of media saturation were available in the past, any president could be made to look like a fucking moron in a youtube mashup. "OMG, JFK is a dumass! LOL"

People aren't perfect. Not you or me, not my candidate or yours. And people who pounce on shit like this look way, WAY more pathetic than the people they're trying to discredit.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or, you just could have said this:

the biggest fuckup of all? iraq.

own up to that little gem then throw stones.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't disagree with any of that. I respect anyone willing to seriously put themselves through that gauntlet. You wake up in yet another hotel room and try to remember if you are in Indianapolis or Columbus. It's amazing that there aren't more screwups.

But if John McCain had said it, it would have been taken as a sign of his age. If President Bush had said it, we would have taken it to mean he is stupid. If Hillary had said it, it would have been trumpeted as her being willing to say anything to become president. We have to be willing to treat politicians the same and give them the benefit of the doubt. I gave HRC a pass on the RFK comment itself* because I think it was a product of fatigue and making a dumb point very inartfully. Had she simply said, "The 1968 race went well into June and almost to the convention," it would have failed on several historical levels, but wouldn't have been offensive. And that was the point she was trying to make. But instead, we get hysterics.

* - The apology was dumb. Instead of just admitting that it didn't come out the way she intended, apologizing to Senator Obama and his family for any insinuation about his safety and saying she looks forward to continuing a spirited campaign, she made it about the Kennedys.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . except it's been documented that she's used the RFK reference repeatedly in recent months . . . as she did in the case of the Bosnia business.

Rip BO for that Selma business? Absolutely. But in terms of employing the "Use it so long as you can get away with it" tactic? . . . others (including HRC) are running well-ahead.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I will fully stipulate that the Bosnia business cannot be excused with a "she's probably tired, misspoke, give her a break." There is a huge difference between messing up a fact or inartful phrasing and just flat out lying. But when else has she invoked RFK? I remember reading about her invoking an LBJ vs. MLK comparison, but not RFK.

Draft saved Draft deleted