1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican poised for upset in NY-9 (Weiner's Old Seat)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 12, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You really think it takes the incentive?

That district is in the heart of Vito Lopez territory, even if it does split itself with Queens. There is nothing pure about the machine politics that decides what gets done around there, who runs for office and what he or she owes in return. Which always made Weiner suspect to me. He had to have sold his soul just to get the seat. There typically isn't even a real election. The Democratic machine (and I don't mean that as a pissing match. These guys are not Democrats the way Barack Obama is. They are Democrats the way Boss Tweed was) decides who the candidate is going to be and that person gets the seat. It's a testament to just how badly Weiner fucked up that there is an actual show of democracy breaking out there right now.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's like what happened with Dan Rostenkowski's district, except that Rosty himself was still running when he was in the middle of his mail fraud investigation (led by Eric Holder, by the way). The Republican beat him, because at that point a squirrel could beat Rosty, who refused to step aside. Of course, in two years the district reverted to form as the district elected a young machine up-and-comer you all know as deposed Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good coverage here: http://twitter.com/#!/maghabepolitico

4. YankeeFan

AP has called it for the Republican:

I'm pretty shocked. Until about 24 hours ago, I figured this was one of those races they would say was close, we'd lose by 6 points, and try to call it some kind of moral victory.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No, you didn't.

And AP, as usual, has no idea what it's talking about. This had nothing to do with the economy. This was Ed Koch sending Obama a message on Israel.

6. YankeeFan

I really did not expect the Republicans to win this seat. Honest to God.

3-1 Dems. Dem seat (and Jewish seat) since 1923. It's Schumer's old seat.

The national Republican Party wasn't going to spend any (real) money here. Media is too expensive. Turnout in a special election is key, and the Dems have the ground game. There is no Queens Republican party or Brooklyn Republican Party to speak off.

The Dems should have been able to pull out their vote.

As for Koch, I'm not sure he mattered much. It's been a long time since he's been Mayor, and he's endorsed a lot of Republicans over the years (Rudy, GWB).

Dov Hikind, an Orthodox Assemblyman also endorsed Turner. He's endorsed Republicans before as well. I'd say his endorsement mattered in that district more than Koch.

Though this Fred Dicker (NY Post Albany/Political Reporter/Columnist) does say some people wanted to send Obama a message:

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So if Weprin loses he can fall back on a 300k a year job at Vito's non-profit.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't that pretty ominous in itself, the prospect that the Jewish vote abandons Obama?

Frankly, I never have figured out why Jews would ever have voted for him in the first place given the whole Jeremiah Wright thing.

9. YankeeFan

@HotlineJess -- Jessica Taylor

Overheard: "Bob doesn't Twitter or Facebook" #NY09

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This is great news for Obama...I heard so on MSNBC.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

It has to be a vast right-wing conspiracy. Damn Tea Party.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Isn't the seat going to be eliminated in another year anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted