1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

REPUBLICAN congressman steps in it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why not?

What's the threshold? 'Macaca'? 'Golliwog'? 'Sambo'? Should he lose his seat if he uses 'Sambo'?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was younger those in my circles used the "tar baby" metaphor in the benign sense, as in: "You think you want to get involved with that, but once you do, you're going to regret it AND you're not going to be able to get out of it." That was the usage. That it carried racist overtones was not something that I was aware of until much later.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All that was missing in that editorial was pointing out that the Congressman has a best friend who is black.
    And really, the problem isn't racially insensitive statements, it's when you can't point to a legislative accomplishment that refutes the notion you might be a racist.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Next he'll say that Obama is just hopping around in the jungle like a bunny.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The threshold is whatever his constituents want it to be. I'm sure there are more than a few parts of this country where an elected official can get away with saying something like that about Obama, just as I'm sure there were more than a few parts of the country where an elected official could have gotten away with saying a similar epithet about George W. Bush.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We're taking it back.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to be recalled by his own constituents - he can be disciplined by the House. Everything from censure to expulsion.

And if there's a parallel racial epithet for a white male Christian American, I'd be very interested to hear it.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If the implication of that youtube link is that somehow I was advancing a similar argument, then I resent the hell out of that. Never once in that period of time to which I referred was "tar baby" used in reference to a person. Rather, it was used to refer to situations, opportunities or options. I have not used that metaphor in years PRECISELY because I became aware of the overtones to which I referred and I absolutely did not want to be misunderstood.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was born and bred in a briar patch.

Didn't Romney make some reference about one of Obama's policies needing to be "strung up" or something?

This is worse. But he'll get nothing more than a slap on the wrist from the House. If he called Obama a "tar baby" then it would be worse, but he didn't do that. He's an idiot who needs to go buy a clue, but he won't lose his job over it.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He should be sent to prison.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How about he just be held accountable for what he says?

Draft saved Draft deleted