1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprint of Sport magazine article about Dick Young

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Those who knew him will certainly recognize him in this profile. It's a good introduction for those who never met him.

Short version: He was a force in his time, an absolute trailblazer. He was completely off the rails in his last 10 years, an irrational crank who pretty much hated everybody and everything.

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/dick-youngs-america-the-reactionary-who-changed-sp-862557756

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Couldn't help but notice that the master plan DY had for himself and his wife -- retiring to Arizona once he left newspapering at age 69 -- never came to pass. He died in the saddle. Probably happy that way, but still, I've heard of too many people who look forward to a renewed life in retirement and get a year or less.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

This gave me goosebumps:

Joe Trimble, Dick Young's colleague at the Daily News, is sitting at his typewriter in the press box at Yankee Stadium, staring at a blank piece of paper. An hour ago Don Larsen pitched a perfect game in the World Series and now the press room downtown is freaking out—where's Joe Trimble's story? "I'm blank," Joe Trimble says to Dick Young in a cold-sweat panic. "I can't write a word." Dick Young calmly rolls a piece of paper in his own typewriter, types out a sentence, takes out the paper and hands it to Joe Trimble. "The imperfect man pitched a perfect game." Forty-five minutes later, Joe Trimble's story is finished, it's the best story of his career, he wins awards for that story—and Dick Young never says a word.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Agreed. That's an incredibly solid thing for anybody, but especially for a guy who was widely regarded as a hard ass.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Village Voice parody column of Dick Young in hell which they also ran this week was really funny.

6. Joe Williams

It made me wonder what the lead was on Dick Young's own story off that game.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great point, Joe. It can't be that difficult to track down, I imagine.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

My limited perception of Dick Young is that in his later years he was bitter with the changes in baseball and newspapers. His gesture after Larsen's perfect game likely came from the fact he wanted to help a colleague he respected.

Reminds me of the many times I'd joke to brighter stars in the biz: "Hey, whatever lead you reject, send 'em my way." ;)

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I was talking about this with a friend the other day. He's not in the business, and asked how I saw my career ending. I kind of laughed and said, "Not well."

He didn't understand, and I explained that the media business -- print and broadcast -- does not lend itself to happy endings. We rarely get to craft our own exits, especially now. That column is such a reminder.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How many editions did the NY papers print each day back then? When would the first edition that included the no-hitter have been available? Sometime that evening? Earlier?

Curious because of the passage that said the newsroom was "freaking" because they didn't have a story one hour after the no-hitter was over, which would have been shortly after 4 p.m.

11. Joe Williams

Recall a young sportswriter asking an older sportswriter, a number of years ago, how he felt about his career.

"The first 25 years were great," the older fellow said.

His paper, for whom he had been a workhorse for a long time, had changed editors and sports editors and the older guy had been shifted from high-profile stuff to small colleges and preps, GA work, vacation fill-in, etc. Had his skills diminished? No. Some new bosses wanted to put their "imprint" on the section. So they rearranged the furniture and hired a couple "young studs."

At least the suits in this industry, when they get out (by choice or pushed), often exit with those golden parachutes we hear about. Worker bees aren't usually that fortunate. Most are desperate just to keep the paychecks coming as long as possible, never mind their duties or role.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't know how many editions, but I used to pick up the bulldog around 10 pm to read on the ferry back to Staten Island in the mid-'70s.

I grew up reading the Daily News (and Post and Times) everyday in the '60s and '70s. As much of a trailblazer as he was (he visited the clubhouse!), Dick Young was a miserable, toxic scumbag who was wrong on just about everything. But I would always read him.

Draft saved Draft deleted