1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprimanded for debunking an intenet/e-mail hoax

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You should claim religious harrasment on the grounds of you buying Procter and Gamble products, thus showing your loyalty to the Church of Satan.

2. maberger

maberger Member

wow -- you work in a crazy place.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If they're political, claim that you are being harrassed. That'll shake them up nicely.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The response was from a blind Gmail account rather than from HR or the publisher's office, so it can't be construed as any kind of formal reprimand.

Sounds like simple embarassment or hurt feelings, and in the long run might be indication that the regular poster/s will no longer be engaging in their activities.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So no one is going to point out the awesomeness of Starman starting a thread to complain about people obsessed with ridiculous conspiracies?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The thing to remember here is you don't mess with crazy.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are you referring to Starman or his co-workers?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The co-workers are crazy.

Starman is fine when he is on his meds.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well,

a) as stated above many of them ARE political.

b) They coincide neatly with most of Mr. Publisher's favorite political talking points so filing complaints on that grounds will get me swiftly fired or sent to write reviews of poodle shows. Our 20-year political writer was recently demoted to cops/courts and his weekly column yanked because he kept making blog posts Mr. P didn't like politically.

c) Since this one was at least on the face of it reasonably non-political, just generalized hysterical fearmongering bullshit, I figured it was safe to call out on the grounds of basic factual fail.

I am just sick and tired of fucking idiots being allowed to spew without fear of being called fucking idiots.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd bet that after the chickenshit e-mail was sent out, and the bosses saw that and both of the printouts that were taped to the front door, that the other person was told to knock the shit off.

Does your place have a policy on political activism and stuff like that, as it pertains to the appearance of impartiality?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It wasn't an internal email. It was an outside, anonymous email.
    Not necessarily something to fear.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh, I knew that all along, of course.

The only thing I'd be worried about is if the e-mail came directly from Mr. Publisher with instructions to be in his office in five minutes and bring my door key.

However, Mr. P was on the big CC list of recipients, so I suppose I may hear about it later on (I think the dude is out of town this week anyway).

Draft saved Draft deleted