1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprimanded for debunking an intenet/e-mail hoax

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK, we have someone in our office (maybe more than one person), who continually posts stuff on the employee bulletin boards, i.e. all these lunatic paranoid e-mails about how we're all going to die and probably before tomorrow.

They're never signed -- usually they have a big "FYI" scribbled on the top in highlight marker.

Today's entry was a 3-page email concerning a supposed EMAIL ALERT sent out by Shell Oil that using cell phones at gas pumps can cause runaway explosions and "thousands" of such cases had already occurred. This time, taped right to the front door.

OK, I get to my desk, fire up the computer, and go to Snopes.

Within 30 seconds -- debunked.

So I print out the "debunction", highlight the critical paragraphs indicating this is indeed the chain e-mail in question, and I go tape it up on the door right next the original frantic e-mail.

I didn't sign the "debunction" but I didn't make any attempt to hide when I put it up -- three or four people saw me do it.

Within 20 minutes an e-mail appears from a blind Gmail account, direct addressed to me and mass-blasted CCed to everybody in the building warning that "attempting to imply materials posted by fellow employees on company property are false may be construed as workplace harassment and subject to disciplinary action."

About 3 minutes later I go back to the front door. Original e-mail and debunction e-mail are both gone.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Post the email from the Nigerian prince with $8 USD million to share if you email him.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I like the one from the Nigerian princess who thinks I am a sweet man and asking if I have extra room in my home.

Oh yeah and she has $44 million she needs to get to the U.S. All she needs is my bank account numbers.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

And I thought this was going to be about the "Back to the Future: June 27, 2012" crap flying around facebook today.

BTW, the actual date that Doc put into the Delorean is Oct. 21, 2015.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What's up with that? Did someone just photoshop today's date in the pic?

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Good for you, Starman. Posted on the front door? What idiots.

So this person who wasn't adult enough to use their own name is saying you can get in trouble for debunking obvious bullshit e-mails posted on the front door of your work? Fuck 'em. If I was you, I'd print out every e-mail warning, promise of fortune, whatever, and put them up all over the building. If it's protected speech for them, it's protected speech for you.

Did the bosses have anything to say about any part of it?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Any time I see one of those goddamn things posted on FB, I go get snopes and post the link as a comment. If people can't take 20 seconds to google something before posting it, it's not my fault. They don't get to incite worry because they're lazy.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You need a new workplace.

If not for the idiot conspiracy theorists who believe everything they see on the Internet, then because telling them the truth is grounds for reprimand.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't figure out why some people think if it's online or in an e-mail, it has to be true. If you can't use some common sense and critical thinking at some point in the process, then you shouldn't be on the Internet.

I remember having to explain to my father about 4 different times that the "photos taken by a satellite of the space shuttle exploding" were really from one of those crappy space movies.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You actually sit there and look for it? That's 20 seconds of your life gone.

Why bother? If it's preceded by "FWD," delete it immediately.

No way would I waste the time to print that crap out.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Don't encourage IJAG to stop. She's adding free time to my life.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm unfriending you.

Draft saved Draft deleted