1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprehensibly misleading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Jul 3, 2016.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

image.png So I'm on Facebook today and the pictured item appears in the feed. I click on the link, which suggests it is an ESPN story. The giveaway, of course, is the "LSU Tigers" tag above a story with no relationship to said team. The use of exclamation marks and the wretched writing confirm. But this is awful. I had never noticed this sort of thing before. Am I clueless? Has it been going on ?

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's even a legitimate page. None of that is ESPN's style. And the address at the top is not an ESPN address.

Looks like you got duped by a fake link.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And yes. Fake links/Fantasy news sites have been around for a while now.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yeah. What's the problem? You got duped by a fake link, which you seem to acknowledge. Are you upset at the story itself or Facebook? By the thread title it appears it is the former. It was a fake. The person who did it doesn't give a shit and would chuckle reading about how pissed you got.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The other day, I clicked on a link for 14 things I didn't know about "Star Wars," when in fact, I did know most of them. Reprehensible!

Batman, JordanA, Big Circus and 2 others like this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You only get one bar on Sprint?

JordanA and BDC99 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted