1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters selling ads?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Jan 28, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My publisher tried asking me to sell ads twice. Both times I told him hell no.

One of the times he actually said "fine, I'll make you publisher so you can sell ads." This was after he'd heard The Baltimore Sun's publisher was selling ads.

He hasn't tried since.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

At my first TV station I was laid off, along with four other people in a small newsroom.

They called a station meeting that night. The remaining employees were told they were taking a 15% pay cut and would now be expected to try to sell ads on every story they covered. If they sold an ad the station would buy them dinner... but the commission would go to a member of the sales department.

It sorta took some of the sting out of being laid off. It could have been worse -- I could have kept my job there.

3. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

True. I know a guy in Missouri who started his own news Web site, has very little overhead and is starting to make a little money. Might as well in this day and age.

4. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I can attest to that. I couldn't sell a thirsty man water in the desert. If I could, I'd be a sales person and wouldn't have to fear opening up my bills.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Let reporter's do what reporter's do an the sales department will do what they do.
    I know of a national magazine that does the exact same thing. The thing is the magazine pay's it's staff a percentage of what you sell like 20% and you don't get a salary on top of that.

Some owner's are taking it to the next level in regard's to being cheap and how can his staff fill the paper if they don't sell the ads?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

apostrophes, when used correctly and in moderation, are a quality addition to one's writing.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Your sentence contains too many commas. It will only confuse him.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Fucker sent me four. That's about the eighth time I've seen his subject line.

My delete button works just fine.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wish I could find the "brass balls" scene from Glengarry Glen Ross.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

After getting six e-mails from him over the course of two days, I sent him one back asking that he take me off his mailing list.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I did that too a few months ago, but then he sent me a response. It was the answer to some riddle he had in the e-mail or something like that. It was confusing and I asked to be removed for a second time. I haven't got an e-mail from him since.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He played dumb with me, asking for my name and e-mail address. Since I have my name is on my e-mail account, I sent him a second, shorter e-mail telling him not to spam me again.

Draft saved Draft deleted