1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters attacked, but it's not news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 2, 2012.

1. That's fine, and perhaps -- on the surface -- that's all this story deserves. But I think it's disrespectful to say to readers that a mob beating -- forget the race of any participants -- near downtown doesn't deserve even a paragraph in the paper. That seems to be the stance the paper is taking, and I think that's ridiculous.

The editor took it a step further by saying that if it had been a group of white youths attacking two black individuals, his stance would have been the same. And that's so absurd that I can't even believe he could say that with a straight face.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The windshield was smashed in.

The next step would have been to overturn it and torch or to smash out the other windows and haul them out.

I am amazed people are blaming the victims.

A car getting its windshield smashed in with people in it is a story almost anywhere.

3. writingump

writingump Member

If I were an employee of this paper and worked for this editor, my first response would be to look for any job anywhere else in any other field. He obviously treats people as though they are fungible. What a disgraceful, embarrassing response on his part.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Had to go scrambling for the dictionary to look up fungible. Nicely done.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The story was newsworthy. Don't think there's any question there. However, I do question the common sense of the reporter. He was in a losing and potentially deadly situation.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I'm trapped in my car surrounded by people who are threatening me with harm, I'm getting the hell out of there.

Even if I have to run over people. Don't want to get run over? Then don't join a mob that means to do me, or my friends, harm.

And if they did run over a person or several people, then the paper would have no excuse but to cover it.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Baron, I agree. If the fucker is in my way trying to hurt me, I'm burning rubber through the crowd and not stopping. You're in the way, tough shit. No need for everyone to be hurt. Someone has got to be around to tell the story.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Rock thrower arrested:

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/16yearold-charged-assault-two-pilot-reporters

9. Wait...so they are covering it now after all?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

People aren't blaming the victims. Drip is.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

My response to that latest story:

It is not about reporters, and honestly, then using reporters in the headline is disingenuous.

It is about people being attacked by a mob and the city police burying it.

It is further about white people being attacked by a black mob.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You truly are a stooge or at best, you are imitating one. I blame the victims for not using common sense in getting the hell out of a winless situation. Unless the guy was packing with some serious fire power, there was no way he's going to beat a mob.
    As for not reporting the story properly, there's no question the editor and the Pilot made an error. I think many along here are in agreement on that.
    Now, what is your malfunction that you can't comprehend what I posted?

Draft saved Draft deleted