1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter thrown under the proverbial bus?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Slapster, just no tape or no tape and no notes to confirm the quotes?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I am told there is/was no tape. I can't speak for the notes.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Could have been poor construction
    Could have been awful follow-up questions.
    Could have been stretching of quotes.
    But, for the love of God, record the interview. Makes these issues non issues.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I agree with the others that are saying have one article be on the kid and how he signed, then do the second about him bashing his former team. Get other people talking to to balance out the credibility.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

In this case, where are the editors? They're (or he/she) are the ones who should be asking these questions before such stories go to print.

6. As a graduate of this shop, I'm going to speculate that the interview may have been done over the phone, which sometimes happened when trying to get stories of Cullman graduates in college and/or going to the NFL, so there may be shorthand notes, but no recording.

As for Tubbs' comments, I'm sure he said them and they are probably true to some extent because Arkansas is in a big shitstorm right now.

I agree with an earlier post that he realized how bad the quotes looked in print and now is heavily backtracking.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But you don't give him the forum to backtrack.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. Not sure how many editors they would have.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Damn! Justin is a friend of mine, but he should have taped the interview. Always, Always tape interviews in person (or take notes) and take as close to verbatim notes in phone interviews. I feel very bad that this happened to a buddy of mine. If he didn't tape it though, he has to take some blame.

10. There's only one guy, and it's the sports editor, who should have looked at this and made him call Tubbs back. If there was any question, let the managing editor look at it. This is a small paper, but the staff isn't that inexperienced to get its ass in a sling by not being thorough.

11. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

at least it was only a proverbial bus. Think how much worse a real bus would have been

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This may be a newsflash. But, I don't ask every writer if every quote in every story is attributable, on the record and backed up by notes or recorder.
    It's not feasible.

FIXED

Draft saved Draft deleted