1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter - Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And he's THE man. The. Da. Different words.
    Back on topic, pretty please.

2. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Terrific response to this job thus far, thanks.
    One important thing: You MUST fill out the online application at the Media General Web site. I'm receiving numerous packets that don't have a corresponding application on file.
    It is quick. It is easy. It is painless. It is required.

3. ruhroh

ruhroh New Member

For the last week or so, Angela Watts has been covering Virginia Tech. Believe she was at the Washington Post for a long time. Wonder if she's in the mix for this gig?

4. sportsliz

sportsliz Member

I noticed that too, wondering the same thing.

5. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

UPDATE - the deadline has been extended until Nov. 26. I won't get around to sorting through the applications until Monday anyway. Very, very good response thus far. There's still room for more.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What? I know you received my resume. Didn't that end the search? ;D

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're hired!

(I'm lame :-[)

8. boots

boots New Member

Watts has done an excellent job on the beat. I wouldn't be surprised if she got the gig.

9. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

The deadline has passed and now the fun begins. We got a huge response and people who applied need to be patient. I want to move as quickly as I can but this is my first reporting hire and I'm going to take the time to do it right.
    There's tremendous quality in this pool. One thing I noticed as I sorted through application packets and gave them a first read is that people take pride in their work and took time to present themselves well. I owe it all of them to give it a good look.
    The good news is I'm going to end up with a terrific reporter.

I hope to start phone interviews next week. If you haven't heard yet, well, you are not alone. No one has heard yet.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Mike, let me be the first to thank you for posting your updates here. In addition to keeping the job-seekers informed and happy, I'm certain you just saved yourself about 300 phone calls and e-mails.

Seriously, we all appreciate being kept in the loop. I wish more editors would do the same.

11. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

No problem, the least I can do given the response to the job.
    If it saves me a few e-mails, so much the better.
    One thing I did learn: It is amazing how many people think "no phone calls" means it's OK for THEM to call.

I'll try to update when I narrow and again when I hire.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn, Harris becomes SE and all these positions are open....
    Just sayin is all....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.