1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter - Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Looking for someone to replace me now that I've moved inside. The e-mail is mharris@timesdispatch.com (it is linked on job boards so it is not listed in the ad).

Sports Reporter—Full Time

Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking for a talented writer and reporter to take responsibility for all aspects of a major-college beat in addition to any other general assignment duties that are needed. Must be able to work effectively with photographers, graphic artists, on-line staff and page designers. Must be multimedia savvy. Must keep up with the day-to-day operation of the beat, create sources and stay ahead of the competition. May be called on occasionally to fill in on other assignments.

Skills & Qualifications: College degree or equivalent experience required. Should have 3 years of daily newspaper experience, preferably at a daily of 100,000-plus. Should have demonstrated proficiency in English and a strong general knowledge of sports. Must have a valid driver's license and be willing to do extensive travel. Must be able to balance many tasks at once. Must be able to ensure that there are on-line components to stories. Must be able to cover breaking news whenever it happens. Must be able to communicate with colleagues and editors and work as part of a team. Must be able to take constructive criticism and direction but also generate plenty of story ideas. Must be able to meet deadlines. Must have demonstrated journalistic skills including an understanding of accepted journalistic practices. Must be willing to work night and weekends. Requires end user computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel), and Microsoft Internet Explorer; Harris NewsMaker a plus.

Hours: 40 hours a week; schedule varies

To Apply: Please respond by COB, Friday, November 17. Internal Candidates complete Internal Application/Transfer Request and forward to RT-D Human Resources along with cover letter and resume. External Candidates: complete online application form and upload a single Word or .pdf document containing your cover letter and resume at http://jobs.mediageneral.com for Job ID# RNI-000673

All Applicants: Forward 6-8 clips demonstrating your newsbreaking ability and creative approaches to beat coverage via e-mail to: Mike Harris or via hard copy Mike Harris, Sports Editor, Richmond Times-Dispatch, P. O. Box 85333, Richmond, VA 23293-0001 (Delivery address: 300 East Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23219)

No phone calls please. For full consideration, please ensure that all components (application, resume, cover letter and clips) arrive by COB Friday, November 17

EOE

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Can't imagine this one will draw much interest.

3. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Let me add this: That three years at a 100-plus is not a hard and fast thing. Quality work will trump that. So don't let the size of your paper keep you from applying.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yeah, Idaho, I can't imagine they'll get too many responses here.
    (Hurriedlylickingenvelopeandsendingoffresume)

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Especially with the guy you gotta deal with as your boss. :D :D

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Mike Harris is a sexy bitch.
    Women want to be with him and men want to be him.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Well, the questions that jump out. . .

1) Is the ad purposefully worded ambiguously, or can we assume that the hiree would be taking Mike's spot at Va Tech?

2) I'd assume the reporter would be based out of Blacksburg, but the "other general assignment" stories he or she would be asked to fill makes me question that assumption. . .

3) What, exactly, constitutes "other general assignement" stories? Big difference between writing profiles on various future Atlanta Braves stars in June and covering a high school football game on Friday night before heading out to Blacksburg for a 12:30 football game.

4) And, of course, pay range.

8. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

1. Don't assume. Probably Virginia Tech but maybe another college beat, depending on the candidate and how some things may be restructured.

2. Don't assume. IF it becomes the VT beat, the hiree would spend a lot of time in Blacksburg. And you can do a lot of things from there. Six NASCAR races within a short drive.

3. A whole bunch of things from baseball to NASCAR to enterprise and more. Get serious on the Friday prep football. If it is VT and VT is at home that weekend, you will be in Blacksburg on Friday. The "other stuff" would be from the end of spring practice through the early part of the summer, with rare exception, if this indeed becomes the VT beat.

4. Depends on experience. But we pay well. Real well.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. I'm sure you just saved yourself a couple of hours of being pelted with the same questions via e-mail.

10. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Yet another quality gig at the TD. Very interested to see who emerges.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Even though I'm a low-level schlub, I'm applying. I eagerly await the rejection letter!

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I hear that Harris guy's a real tool... other than that, should be a sweet gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.