1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter Resigns After Publisher Says No to 3% Raise

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Best raise I ever got was about 15 years ago when I was promoted to a management role on the news desk. The increase was 12 percent, which was nice.

Of course, the increase in stress wound up being at least 112 percent, which wasn't so nice.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Joe,

I hope you kicked that guy's ass or something before you left as well.

Joe Williams likes this.
  3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I once went to my publisher saying I had an offer (it was significantly less money, in an area with a greater cost of living and doing a job I didn't want to do, but I had personal reasons to want the change), and asked for a raise. I was at around $26,200 and received a $1,000 bump, a little less than 4 percent.

Good paper, good publisher.

Joe Williams likes this.
  4. John

John Well-Known Member

I freelanced for a while and recently landed a full-time gig that is part writing. After moving back to my hometown, I took my time looking for a new job. Luckily I could afford to do it. I wanted to make sure it was something I really wanted so I wouldn't be looking again in a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted