1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter plagiarized by recruiting site writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Blogger plagiarized by recruiting site writer?

The comments underneath are fun.

And the BLOGGER! wasn't involved. He just blew the whistle. A guy from the Beaver County Times was plagiarized by a Scout.com writer.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Headline appropriately changed. Needless to say I skimmed the article. Last thing I wanna' do is read that many words after work that have little or no direct impact on me.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Didn't the scout writer think that some of his readers might read the newspaper too?

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Man, you aren't kidding. I especially liked this one:

But the one about Jesus dying for our sins was funny, too.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Write something that sucks. Blow the assignment completely. But don't steal someone else's work. Nothing will turn your name to shit faster than plagiarism.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any reporter who condones the plagiarism, if any of those commenting on the post actually wrote any comments, should just quit now.

What about outing a plagiarizer? Is it fair game or should someone just zip an e-mail off to an editor keep it quiet. I personally don't care if the guy was outed. You have no "supposed" protection if you copy and paste another's work.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

There's a writer who frequents several of the local college's games who was once caught for plagiarism. Everyone else loves the guy. He may be a nice guy, but he broke Rule No. 1. I will never have anything to say to him.

This blogger did the right thing, especially given that he's an impartial observer to this situation. If he wrote for the papers, that's one thing. But as a superfan, I believe the public exposure is acceptable.

9. tagline

tagline Member

The writer accused of plagiarism (Dale Grdnic) has done freelance work for the newspaper he stole the column from. How dumb.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

isn't there a threat of defamation for calling the guy a plagiarist?

though the evidence is strong, it is not empirical and I think the Scouts writer might be able to come back at the guy with some legal threats

not saying that's right, mind you, but hey, it's the law

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

On the subject of "empiricsm," I thought Slate's Jack Shaffer made some good points a while back. I don't usually like Shaffer's smarmy preach-fests, but this is strong:

(Emphasis added.)

http://www.slate.com/id/2186029/

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree, but I didn't like how he described confronting the guy. Did he actually talk to the guy? Did he have some actual excuses? I would like to see those listed just in an effort to get the other guy's side.

Plagiarism is bad. But presenting one-sided stories with no voice from the person you are criticizing is bad as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted