1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter job in NYC (This one wants to make me cry with its low pay)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jan 16, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i don't know that i've ever seen a poster with single digit posts act like such an insufferable asshole right off the bat. nice start, bc31.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Usually, one must get in the teens before being so insufferable...

3. bc31

bc31 Guest

Exactly what is the politically correct number of posts before someone can actually offer an opinion without being called an asshole, piece of work, owner of SportsJournalists.com? and you all consider yourselves the mature ones? did it ever occur to you that I've been reading this website for years but never needed to comment on the Alabama job market?

I commented because having worked for two New York City weeklies, I am actually in a position to state that that salary is quite typical for outer-borough weeklies. (Just out of curiousity, how many of you attacking me actually have worked in the NYC market and know firsthand what you're talking about? thought so.) I can also tell you that general assignment reporters do NOT cover the sports beat; they cover fires and shootings.

Now if the rest of you want to waste your time reading through descriptions of jobs which are not sports related - and brag about spending your time posting every day on this website for 3 years or whatever - be my guest. You'll equally enjoy wading through careerbuilder, hot jobs and monster. Silly me, I actually thought this website efficiently targeted sports journalist jobs. You're right, that does warrant crucifying me.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's your error. I'd go so far as to say roughly half the people on this site still work in sports journalism. We post news jobs, PR jobs, sports jobs, whatever kind of damn jobs we can find that might help someone.

Take the attitude elsewhere.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

You were not attacked because you know that the salary was typical for this position and you know it. You were attacked because you posted something you would know to be ridiculous if you've ever actually read this board.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

7. txsportsscribe

unbelievable. here's some advice, bc: kill your current account and come back with a new name and a new attitude.

8. bc31

bc31 Guest

too bad, texas. I'll lose my attitude when you lose the cheesy pinup photo and move to a blue state.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I love good satire, but this is just bad work. We've forgotten better performances on this site.

10. txsportsscribe

well it's obvious now that bc is a sock puppet

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

To bc: Just because there are a bunch of rags paying like crap in NYC, that means it's okay? And I didn't see 7 million people out there fishing a plane out of the water, so don't give me that bullshit that we have to pause any debate because a news event took place.

Obviously you're useless to the effort because your busy posting on here. Spare me the drama. I don't care to hear about a Lindsay Lohan movie plot right now.

And I know how much rent costs in the are in the city. Not firsthand, but secondhand from people living in something just above tenement apartments id and could not afford it if they made $23k.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What occured to me is that you're a moron.

Might want to actually get the name of the website name before you actually start lecturing people on, you know, the name of the website.

Moron.

Draft saved Draft deleted