1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter charged with dealing pot

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Selling pot is illegal in Key West? Who knew!?!

http://journ.us/f1BIgX

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So sad that so many journalists have to take a second job just to make ends meet.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Kind of a loss. I heard he always gave his readers the straight dope.

That said, isn't it kind of bogus that because the guy was traffic-stopped within 1,000 feet of a "church," they charge with a hyped-up classification? The guy was running a red light -- I doubt he was going to double back to the Unitarian Universalist parking lot. I've never been to Key West, but where I live, I am sure I often drive within 1,000 feet of schools and churches I don't even know are there.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Between all the drug dealing and pimping when do these guys find the time to write?

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Union+Leader+reporter+arrested+on+prostitution-related+charges&articleId=8a9fb681-5a4c-45c1-8ef7-c1d2cb47f1ee

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Interesting...the two guys even look alike.

7. notquiteout

notquiteout New Member

It's a gateway beat... after two years most guys move up to cover the crank-bugs beat.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Stunning that Key West is even enforcing dope laws. The guys who made this arrest obviously never attended the Key West Hemingway Way Days Festival. Best contact high ever.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

About five years ago, we had a guy who was dealing cocaine out of our mail room. Back when we had a mail room.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

As long as he wasn't dealing to people on his beat, I don't see the problem [/crossthred]

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also on the crime beat, apparently the assistant sports editor of The Indianapolis Star has an identity theft rap.

http://ruthholladay.com/2010/dec/18/star-assistant-sports-editor-pleads-guilty-to-grand-theft/

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. That's pretty lame.

I understand that you don't want dealers making the rounds as kids are boarding buses home from school or shouldering through the church choir handing out crack, but driving past a church makes it a felony?

Draft saved Draft deleted