1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter, Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Peg McNichol, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

On the off chance a sports journalist is thinking of switching sections, or knows a sharp news sider ready for a change in venue:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=877865

"The Southeast Missourian is seeking an aggressive, self-motivated reporter to cover business and other general assignment stories. Candidates with prior newspaper experience will be considered. Candidates should submit five examples of their work showcasing strong writing and reporting skills. The clips should also show flexibility in writing styles. Those who can also show the ability to produce online content will be preferred. Only serious candidates will get responses. Please e-mail a letter, resume and five samples of your work to managing editor Bob Miller bmiller@semissourian.com."
    Pay is $25-30k.

I've been a reporter at the SE Missourian since July. The newsroom is one of the best I've worked in. Not perfect, but a great group of people (news, sports, online and photo), exceptional copy desk, imho.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

isn't this like the third opening at this little rag in the past year or so?

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yes. The sports editor moved over to the web site, so he had an ASE opening available. Then I believe there was a reporter position in the sports department open. This is the third that I can think of. Might be the 4th because I don't think this is the first news opening in the last year.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

25-30k isn't bad in the cape.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the cape of doom?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I didn't say it was Eden, just that it was relatively cheap.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Hometown of Rush Limbaugh for all you lefties. :)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

zip it you right-wing, white sox lovin' bastard. ;)

9. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

It's true, there was a flurry of openings last May/June. New features editor; city beat reporter (me); cops and courts; then the education reporter went to the dark side (pr, not sports! :) and was replaced.

The ME arrived a week after I did but is a returnee.

It's a very fun newsroom. The current opening resulted from an internal promotion.

It is the hometown of Rush Limbaugh III (some here like his grandfather much better. The new federal courthouse is named for the elder, though it would have been more of an honor had the building not been such a boondoggle....)

College town, enrollment 10k (and the school is looking for a journalism prof, too).

Decent arts community and a surprising amount of good music. Also, rodeos seem to be a big deal here.

The city is halfway between St. Louis and Memphis and an hour's drive from Paducah, Quilt Capitol of the World ;)

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Paducah has a Sonic and a Wal-Mart right next to one another. Can't beat that.

Draft saved Draft deleted