1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: WNBA RIP next year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 24, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How's the recovery coming along?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She needs a nick name.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My mom worked at an A&W in Chicago when she was growing up, she told me you never put ice in A&W root beer. It is not meant to be watered down.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Your mom is correct.

Only thing that should ever be allowed to put in a mug of A&W is 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

The best.

6. old_tony

I've heard of that school of thought.

I'll still enjoy an A&W poured into a glass of crushed ice.

In fact, back in the 1970s, one root beer company's jingle included "don't spare the ice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrelhead_Root_Beer

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I can move the arm around to a certain extent mostly without pain, but that nerve damage ain't going away. Can't really move my wrist at all.

8. old_tony

Progress is always good. Keep getting better.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Eh, for what it's worth.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Reports of their demise have been slightly over-stated
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The real problem with trying to sell women's basketball is that it tends to favor a slower pace that emphasizes defense, rather than rapid ball movement that leads to dunks, wild layups and lots of three-point shooting. And slower pace generally translates to "boring" for the average fan.

I know from the clip Flip shared that there are women who can dunk and that some women's games can be high scoring, but they tend to be the exception, particularly when compared to men's basketball. And while I like watching good defense in basketball, it's high-scoring excitement that sells the most tickets.

And does the WNBA really have anybody with a marketable personality? I'm thinking along the lines of Charles Barkley, who talked a lot of trash but could back it up. Women's tennis always seem to have somebody with a marketable personality, while women's basketball seems to be have the down-to-earth types, which may mean less worries about egos but tends to draw a shrug of the shoulders from most fans.

Like it or not, sports fans would rather talk about the athletes with egos.

I do agree they need to put the WNBA teams in cities that have strong followings for women's collegiate hoops -- and because the WNBA runs during the summer, you aren't going to have them battling with college hoops for fans.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Blasphemy.

Draft saved Draft deleted