1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan to resign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Jerry Sloan finally sick of it. I can't believe he's resigning in midseason. I assume he's tired of the crap he gets from the players and the GM.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Signed an extension on Monday? Wow.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If there's ever been a time to break out, "I'm getting too old for this shit" at a press conference, this is the time.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Here is hoping that Phil Johnson, the LAST link to the Kansas City Kings aside from Mike Woodson or Reggie Theus, gets the interim tag for the rest of the year.

Phil coached the Kings twice, 1974-78 and 1984-87. Guy won Coach of the Year in 1974-75. I'd love to see the humble assistant get back in the top slot.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Phil is resigning as well according to the report.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great coach. Great guy.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Wow. He, of course, originally took over when Layden resigned during the 1989 season. Wonder how many coaches there have been in the NBA since Sloan took over that year.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And in his day one of the dirtiest players in the NBA.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a management decision than Sloan's. Yeah, I remember him as one of the Bulls' enforcers in the mid-70s.

Been a couple of years since Larry Miller went to the big locker room in the sky ...

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Didn't see this one coming. Great coach.

Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51230275-87/story.csp

The shocking development comes comes the morning after Sloan was involved in a long discussion behind closed doors with general manager Kevin O'Connor, following the Jazz's 91-86 loss to the Chicago Bulls at EnergySolutions Arena. Sloan appeared visibly shaken after the meeting, and would not discuss what was said.

O'Connor declined interview requests, and team executives Greg Miller and Randy Rigby did not return phone calls.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a hoops fan from afar, although I did not like the Jazz (Malone was/is such a phony), I have always been amazed at how disciplined the Jazz were in how they played, offensively and defensively. He went to the Finals two years in a row with Tyrone Corbin (yes two HOFers too) and that Mark Eaton wannabe at center (I can see him) and Thurl Bailey. Amazing.

Then to get to the Western Conf. finals with Boozer, Williams and Kirilenko. Amazing again.

I only wish the Warriors could find someone to instill such discipline.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What team is Deron Williams play for when his contract expires?

Draft saved Draft deleted