1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Tiger Woods to return in two weeks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 3, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was just trying to say that to have a better shot at winning the Masters, Tiger would likely play a tune-up first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd rather watch him at the pre-Masters press conference as he dodges question after question about his infidelity as a few fanboy reporters ask actual golf questions.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's definitely one point.

The other is along the lines that most everyone on tour goes out there and hopes they have a great week and can win that particular major. Tiger goes into every one of them thinking he will win it (or at the very least will be in the hunt at the end). He's not going to sacrifice his preparation that would compromise that approach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tiger also can't risk coming out and playing like shit, which would lead to people saying the scandal has caused him to come unraveled.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Country Club sports suck, according to you. That's your preference, fine. But you talk as if you're speaking for all sports fans. So you don't like golf. Big deal. Don't make it seem a character flaw if you do.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There is no way. NO WAY Woods is missing The Masters.

He has a legitimate shot at the Grand Slam this year. The only spot he hasn't won at in the rotation this year is Whistling Straits. (Augusta, Pebble, St. Andrews being the other three.)

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Geeze, hondo, lighten up. Nowhere in Jesus's post does he imply he's speaking for all sports fans. I think it's pretty much acknowledged here that when we post an opinion, we're speaking solely for ourselves.

Jesus's main point, I think, is that golf as a spectator sport was a second-tier sport before Tiger came along, and will return to that status after he's gone. Looking at the ratings during his injury hiatus, it's a reasonable idea.

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

What do you bet Augusta beefs up security this year and beats the hell out of any tabloid sleaze who sneaks in with a camera? It's private property. Private security. It's happened.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but all the photog needs is one good shot. Plus, how much you bet they find out where Tiger's private home is? Hell, I've been to the Masters many times and I know where it is ... at least where it's been in the past.

10. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

According to this, his return will come March 22 in Orlando:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/os-tiger-woods-return-tavistock-0208,0,1629552.story

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What are they going to do, bumrush the stage? Regardless of her audience I'd doubt Oprah would dare try to hammer him.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You are missing the point.

Oprah and her audience do not give a shit about golf. If he went on the show, he would get a solid hour of questions about Rachel Uchitel, Perkins waitresses, and "how could you do that to your beautiful wife and two little children?" There wouldn't be a single golf question, because no one in Oprah's audience cares. And why wouldn't Oprah dare hammer him? She has no reason to pull any punches, and she has an audience that thinks he's an asshole.

On the other hand, he can go to Jim Nantz or Mike Tirico and get one vague question about his "time off", followed by some bullshit about maintaining his focus and getting ready for the Masters.

Which do you think he would choose?

Draft saved Draft deleted